Unable to kill a vmtar process

rengiared

Renowned Member
Sep 8, 2010
Austria
hi,

i have the problem that i can't kill a hung up vmtar process from a backup-procedure.
The problem starts with a strange behavior after a few minutes of a "big" machine started to backup.
For example, the backup of a smaller one with a 8GB tar needs about 16 minutes.
When i start to backup the "big" one with about 42GB, the first 15GB are loaded to the NAS very quickly, but then it gets unbelievable slowly.
Now i tried to kill the vmtar process cause i wanted to try something else but the process doesn't kill.
with "ps -C vmtar" i search the process-id, then i try to kill it with "kill 1234" but nothing happens
as a strange sideeffect every machine on the host gets incredibly slow and uses just the half of his assigned RAM.

i have the setting "size: 2048" in the vzdump.conf.
the host is a DELL R710 with 2 Xeon E5520, 24GB RAM and 8 146GB SAS Drives in a Raid 5 with 9 guests running on it.

in the end i have 2 questions. What else can i try to kill the process and why the backup gets so slow after a while.
the third would be how the strange sideeffect could be, but if i get 1 and 2 to work i hope 3 dissolves in air.

thanks in advance

Last edited:
Hello,

a few minutes after my post the process got killed, next time i will try it immediately with kill -9. thanks

pveperf results are: (as i have no real idle situation i just made it now)
CPU BOGOMIPS: 72349.68
REGEX/SECOND: 814612
HD SIZE: 94.49 GB (/dev/mapper/pve-root)
BUFFERED READS: 94.17 MB/sec
AVERAGE SEEK TIME: 6.89 ms
FSYNCS/SECOND: 490.27
DNS EXT: 58.92 ms
DNS INT: 2004.64 ms

the high dns int value is a little bit strange

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!