Unable to install Proxmox ve 7.2 - Current input timing error

sujitg

May 21, 2022
When I try to install Proxmox ve 7.2, running into an error with
"Current input timing is not supported by monitor.. change it to .... xxxx Xxx

The challenge is I dont know how to do that as I dont get to a CLI or a Web UI, but just a blue screen with this message.
- I have tried suggestions like changing the cable etc, but no luck so far.

I am trying to install Proxmox on a "HP ProLiant DL360 G7 4B SFF Server 2x X5675 3.06GHz 12-Cores 144GB DDR3 4x 300GB P410"

Anyone else running into similar issues? Any guidance is appreciated

Thanks
Sujit

Hello sujitg,
I have the same issue. What I have found on other posts is to try install with the iLO. But the iLO isn't working aswell. So I guess we are waiting for answers.

Appreachiate the Help, thanks

Same issue on Lenovo ThinkSystem ST250. Appears to be an upstream (Debian) bug; I get the same problem trying to install the latest version of Ubuntu. Have had to drop back to 7.1, bummer.

Had the same troubles with HP DL380 and PBS 2.2.
Installed then PBS 2.1 and updated to 2.2.
Guess it's a problem of the 5.15 kernel and simplefb.

Same problem with Dell Poweredge 610. Is there a text based installation method?

Friends,
Thank you all for your response.
@dorarosi , @nwgy , @khe91 , @TG4FOSS, hope you have been able to resolve your issue?

My issue is resolved, but honestly I am not sure how. But let me share what all I did, and how I reached my current resolved state. Hopefully it helps someone.
- To add a little more detail (I didn't think relevant initially) - I had connected my LCD monitor to my server (on which I was installing Proxmox) through a startech KVM switch using VGA cable when I was getting the error.
----> FIX ### When I directly connected the VGA cable to the LCD monitor, the issue was resolved, and I was successfully able to proceed with the installation of Proxmox.

Once Proxmox was installed, I performed all the Debian updates etc and completed a couple more of the basic configurations on Proxox.
And just out of curiosity, I reconnected the monitor via KVM switch and everything still works properly.

Now, onwards to the next challenge of learning how to setup flle shares :) on Proxmox.
Sujit

Last edited:
Good to hear you found a simple solution. It seems there's definitely something wonky with video support in the current Debian installer. What worked for me was to install 7.1 (no problems with installation), then do 'apt full-upgrade' (after adjusting the apt sources to pick up the no-subscriptions repos, and to ignore the subscription repo; if you have a subscription just leave the apt sources as-is). I'm under the impression that this brings the Debian base completely up to date, and *I think* also the Proxmox installed on top of it.

Hello everyone,

Came across this today while installing 7.2 on Dell R210's. I had to add the Grub Configuration for nomodeset on boot and once doing so, was able to get the system to boot with display without any issue.

I hope this helps a few folks. :fingerscrossed:

- Silent

One solution I found whilst installing Proxmox 7.2 on a Dell 240 was when at the Proxmox splash screen, disconnect the video cable, hit [enter] to select the 'Install Proxmox' option, wait a few minutes for it to boot and reconnect the video cable. The EULA screen should appear.

One solution I found whilst installing Proxmox 7.2 on a Dell 240 was when at the Proxmox splash screen, disconnect the video cable, hit [enter] to select the 'Install Proxmox' option, wait a few minutes for it to boot and reconnect the video cable. The EULA screen should appear.
This appears to be my solution for my Dell 610 as well. I am still doing the install but this got me past the error ""Current input timing is not supported by monitor.. change it to .... xxxx Xxx".

This appears to be my solution for my Dell 610 as well. I am still doing the install but this got me past the error ""Current input timing is not supported by monitor.. change it to .... xxxx Xxx".
So, I was able to install Proxmox with this method, however, once it rebooted I am faced with the same error. I can still connect to it via the webapp, but If I try to put a monitor on the box directly I get no video output what so ever...

So, I was able to install Proxmox with this method, however, once it rebooted I am faced with the same error. I can still connect to it via the webapp, but If I try to put a monitor on the box directly I get no video output what so ever...
What happens if you boot your server with no video cable connected, wait for it to fully boot and then connect the cable? Do you need direct terminal access from the physical box, or is ssh enough?

What happens if you boot your server with no video cable connected, wait for it to fully boot and then connect the cable? Do you need direct terminal access from the physical box, or is ssh enough?
The same thing happens... However I did solve this issue by changing the bios from UEFI to BIOS boot. I tested on another server as well (Dell T610)

this is quite weird but did solve my case

Still the same troubles with Proxmox 7.3-1 and PBS 2.3-1.
Disconnecting don't works for me on HP DL380.
Using now a separate PCIe GPU for install and removing it afterwards.

At the boot screen Install Proxmox should be selected/highlighted, press "e"

delete quiet "splash = silent" and replace with "nomodeset"

Press ctrl+x to continue booting

It will likely get farther but still error out.

next type:

Code:
cat << EOF | tee --append /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-quirks.conf

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Card0"
    Driver "fbdev"
EndSection
EOF

xinit -- -dpi 96 >/dev/tty2 2>&1

sources:
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/generic-solution-when-install-gets-framebuffer-mode-fails.111577/
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/g...ts-framebuffer-mode-fails.111577/#post-497833

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!