Unable to initialize physical volume /dev/sda3

user2711

Dec 31, 2019
I'm trying to install promox on my new r710 server, I've got 600GB sas drive I'm trying to install proxmox onto via a usb device. I've installed proxmox before and did not recieve an error like this. I checked the logs after it failed and I see that proxmox has an error reading sda, sda2 and sda3. Then I get the error, unable to initialize physical volume /dev/sda3 followed up by umount no mount specified errors. Sorry if this is a really nooby question. Thanks in advance!

Image of proxmox logs (sorry for quality): https://imgur.com/a/tfuCzcf

Last edited:
Hey there - I bumped into the same issue but got it to work by clicking on "Options" in the Setup Wizard when you select the device to install to, and reduced a few GBs from the default value it had (was 233, dropped to 230). After that it installed no problems just now.

Just created this account in case people have this issue in the future, cheers

Hey there - I bumped into the same issue but got it to work by clicking on "Options" in the Setup Wizard when you select the device to install to, and reduced a few GBs from the default value it had (was 233, dropped to 230). After that it installed no problems just now.

Thank you for the information! The solution worked great for me.

Thank you for the information! The solution also worked great for me.
tip : ( my disk is 931 GB , dropped to 925 GB )

This also worked from me.

RAID-1 931GB disk > reduced to 925GB. It failed one time and then worked when I retried.

Works for me too, huge thanks, i reduced from 1.85tb to 1.80tb

Thank u

I am having the same issue. I tried reducing from 29.8 to 24, still didn't fix my problem. I am installing from a bootable usb drive onto my old laptop. Is there anything else I can try?

Wiping device turns helpful for me. I guess this is a problem caused by remaining lvm superblock.
All data on this disk will be erased!

Try this:
1. Run linux LiveCD
Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1M count=800 status=progress
If doesn't work, try to omit "count=..." to zeroize entire disk space (may take some time).
Remember! Change "/dev/sda" to your device. Device, not partition!

3. Reboot. Install Proxmox as usual.

Last edited:

Late response, but an additional solution; tried yours, worked like a charm. Then, I made the process again, but deleting and recreating the virtual disk within the RAID controller, worked too.

Best regards.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!