Unable to find Network interface after adding in a PCI-E GPU.

Maxi1134

Sep 12, 2020
Hey guys,
I hope y'all are doing fine today!

I am encountering a slight issue with my network and would love some help if that's possible!

My server has been working for now 6 months with a 1070ti in it. (I had to change the bridge_port of the network interface for this to work, due to the predictable names )

Yesterday, I decided to add an m.2 drive, which caused the network to go down. To fix this, I bumped the bridge_port from enp4s0 to enp5s0, and it worked.
After cloning my SSD to that m.2 drive and everything going haywire, ( VM won't boot up ), I decided to remove the m.2 drive, install the old drive and call it a day!
This didn't work, even after my tries of reverting the bridge_port to enp4s0.

It also seems that although my network card is always listed by the command "lspci", with or without gpu. It is not found when using "ip link" whilst the gpu is plugged in.
As you can see here: https://i.imgur.com/6mSAJ96.png

The network adapter is well listed in the second position when i remove the GPU!

If anyone could assist, that would be dope!

Thanks for reading.

Edit: Ended up reinstalling the Os froms cratch whilst having everything that is PCIe plugged in.

Last edited:
check the logs (`journalctl -b` and dmesg) for messages related to the NIC - it should provide a hint why it is not showing up with the GPU installed

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!