Unable to dump my video card vBIOS

I know this is an old post but did you find a solution? I have the exact same issue.

(EDIT) I found the issue. There's a permission error that is cause by the root user not having execute permissions .

simple fix is when you are in the device directory (e.g. /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:00:02.0), type

Code:
ls -l rom

The output will probably resemble something like this

Code:
-rw------- 1 root root 131072 Jan 20 23:15 rom

To fix the permission error within the directory enter

Code:
chmod u+x rom

This gives the root user permissions to execute in this folder.

Code:
ls -l rom

-rwx------ 1 root root 131072 Jan 20 23:29 rom

Then you can perform the cat and echo commands without permission error to dump the rom.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Also make sure to boot with another GPU, otherwise you might get a partially initialized ROM which is not what you want for PCI(e) passthrough.

Also make sure to boot with another GPU, otherwise you might get a partially initialized ROM which is not what you want for PCI(e) passthrough.
I believe this is the issue I am running into at the moment, because the MacOS VM deadstops halfway through the boot screen. Disable the pci device and VM works normally. I have just decided to put it off until I get a secondary GPU in the system. But booting MacOS as a VM is an entirely difficult process as it is.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!