unable to detect lvm volume group message during backup?

ozgurerdogan

Renowned Member
May 2, 2010
Bursa, Turkey, Turkey
I am getting;

Code:
INFO: starting new backup job: vzdump 100 --remove 0 --mode snapshot --compress lzo --storage YEDEKLER --node vztl6
INFO: Starting Backup of VM 100 (qemu)
INFO: status = running
[COLOR=#ff0000]INFO: mode failure - unable to detect lvm volume group[/COLOR]
INFO: trying 'suspend' mode instead
INFO: backup mode: suspend
INFO: ionice priority: 7
INFO: suspend vm
INFO: creating archive '/BACKUPS/dump/vzdump-qemu-100-2012_05_05-17_57_55.tar.lzo'
INFO: adding '/BACKUPS/dump/vzdump-qemu-100-2012_05_05-17_57_55.tmp/qemu-server.conf' to archive ('qemu-server.conf')
INFO: adding '/BACKUPS/images/100/vm-100-disk-1.raw' to archive ('vm-disk-ide0.raw')
INFO: Total bytes written: 34359740928 (96.95 MiB/s)
INFO: archive file size: 3.02GB
INFO: resume vm
INFO: vm is online again after 339 seconds
INFO: Finished Backup of VM 100 (00:05:40)
INFO: Backup job finished successfully
TASK OK

Code:
root@vztl6:~# cat /proc/mounts
none /sys sysfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime 0 0
none /proc proc rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime 0 0
none /dev devtmpfs rw,relatime,size=9231952k,nr_inodes=2307988,mode=755 0 0
none /dev/pts devpts rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000 0 0
/dev/mapper/pve-root / ext3 rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro,barrier=0,data=ordered 0 0
tmpfs /lib/init/rw tmpfs rw,nosuid,relatime,mode=755 0 0
tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime 0 0
/dev/mapper/pve-data /var/lib/vz ext3 rw,relatime,errors=continue,barrier=0,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/sda1 /boot ext3 rw,relatime,errors=continue,barrier=0,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/sdb /BACKUPS ext3 rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro,barrier=0,data=ordered 0 0
fusectl /sys/fs/fuse/connections fusectl rw,relatime 0 0
/dev/fuse /etc/pve fuse rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,default_permissions,allow_other 0 0
beancounter /proc/vz/beancounter cgroup rw,relatime,blkio,name=beancounter 0 0
container /proc/vz/container cgroup rw,relatime,freezer,devices,name=container 0 0
fairsched /proc/vz/fairsched cgroup rw,relatime,cpuacct,cpu,cpuset,name=fairsched 0 0

is there a volume group? post all details about your LVM setup. Looks like you did not use an ISO install.?

is there a volume group? post all details about your LVM setup. Looks like you did not use an ISO install.?

I have a second disk mounted as backup disk. Thats all I use. I had seen this error from my other v2 installs but second try of backup was fine. I mean I saw this error only with first backups with next backups error disappeared. But this time it sits there.

What I did was, installed v2 and restored vms from backups. Google results point it is something realted to localization.

What do you suggest? This is a email server so suspending vm are not fine for me.

(I am going to install a new vm from ISO image and see if its backup will be fine. But at the end I will need to restore vms from 1.9. Or I can try to copy raw file of vm directly and replace it to existing temporary vm not sure if it make sence..)

Thanks in advance.

pls post the details of your LVM setup.

Code:
pvdisplay

lvdisplay

also post your storage definitions:
Code:
cat /etc/pve/storage.cfg

and the 101.conf:
Code:
cat /etc/pve/qemu-server/100.conf

I am so sorry but I found out that, I incorrectly restored backup from backup disk to same backup disk itself. After restoring to correct disk back with snapshot was fine.
Thank you very much. You do it great!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!