Unable to create VM

itmanbbq

Jun 18, 2018
Greetings,

Forgive my simple question. I have two proxmox hosts. On pve1 I am unable to create a VM as I am not able to select any storage from the drop down. I do not have this issue on my pve2. I have 8 VM's running on pve1 and was able to create those VM's. I noticed that on my pve2 host the default image type under hard disk is raw. On the pve1 host the default image type is qemu.

I probably did something to cause this issue but I am stuck. I am also not able to move disks as well. The storage does not show up in the drop down.

I am new to proxmox . . . any suggestions would be helpful. I am using LVM storage.

Hi,

I guess you have not set the correct content type on the storage.
You can check this here.

Datacenter->Storage double click to "local-lvm"
Prove that "Disk image" is selected as content.

Thank you for your response. . . . I verified that I have the correct option(s) set fo the storage. My issue I believe is how I created my storage. I deleted ALL my storage and started over. I was able to create VM's and select storage and move disks. When I came back to work on it today I was in the same scenario. Unable to create a vm and assign storage. Unable to move a disk.

My assumption is that I have an issue with my storage and possibly it's not mounted.

Many thanks for any additional assistance.

Attachments

• pve1-storage.png
    pve1-storage.png
    85.7 KB · Views: 27
  • pve1-disks.png
    pve1-disks.png
    109.3 KB · Views: 25
  • pve1-movedisk-nothinginlist.png
    pve1-movedisk-nothinginlist.png
    81.1 KB · Views: 25
  • pve1-createvm-nostorageinlist.png
    pve1-createvm-nostorageinlist.png
    153.6 KB · Views: 24
. . . . More information. Upon further research I determined that when I create a hard disk for one of my VM's it also creates that same disk as a physical volume. This appears to be the cause of my issues in terms of moving disks and creating new vms. Once I remove that hard drive everything returns to normal. My VM may not be compatible with the LVM thin format. I notice that when I use the command pvs I see that the same disk is listed there with a mdvg as the volume.

hi,
i have a similar problem, i can't crate new VM, on some servers the local_vm is active is working just fine, for the rest the local_vm has a "?" icon, and the state is Inactive. I have try to delete all the local_vm storage from datacenter->storage, but on recreate the storage local_vm on stat specific servers stays the same. Also when i try to create a VM, i get the error that there is no PVE volume created.
any ideea?

I've seen the ? mark before when I've lost connectivity to my host or when the host isn't ready. I would run the following commands and compare to another host. That is how I noticed my issue.

pvs
vgs
lvs

With my issue . . . the vgs command took many many minutes to complete. When I don't have the MDVG volume group all three commands complete quickly.

, , , , back to my issue I've discovered the root cause of my problem that doesn't allow me to select ANY storage be it for a new VM or to move storage to another disk. I am using some specific VM(s) that create their own disk partitions. I've learned that AFTER I spin up a specific VM there is an additional physical volume created with the Volume Group shown as MDVG. From that point forward my issue occurs. If I manually remove that physical volume then by using "pvremove with the --force option twice" . Everything returns back to normal and I can select storage. Also . . . when this condition is in place the pve host becomes very sluggish. Every action takes more time the system is not stable.

I am going to try a different type of storage and see if my issue persists.

If you only have one disk you can do disk.
#Delete local-lvm storage
Datacenter > storage > select click remove

#Run this commands:
lvremove /dev/pve/data
lvresize -l +100%FREE /dev/pve/root

resize2fs /dev/mapper/pve-root

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!