[SOLVED] Unable to connect to network after restart

molisani

May 25, 2024
I recently (a week or two ago) upgraded from Proxmox 7 to 8, and I believe I've restarted successfully at least once but now I'm no longer sure. I was dealing with some other issues with a container that wouldn't terminate and I issued a hard shutoff of the entire machine and then restarted it. When I brought it back up, I was not able to access the web UI. The machine did not appear on my network at all, but I was able to log into the machine directly (via a remote access controller). I noticed that there was some problem with the network interfaces, and in the logs for my machine (journalctl) I was getting a lot of bridge 'vmbr0' does not exist.

I found a lot of other guides/threads about issues similar to this, that all describe fixing the /etc/network/interfaces file. However, they all mention (as does the v8 upgrade docs) that network interface names may change, but as far as I can tell all of the interfaces mentioned in /etc/network/interfaces still exist in ip a. I normally use eth2/eno3 as the active connection, and I have it set as 192.168.1.125 on my network (bound MAC address in my router's DHCP).

Screenshot 2024-05-25 at 6.07.19 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-05-25 at 6.09.21 PM.png

I hadn't unplugged the ethernet cable when I restarted it the first time, and I've since re-plugged it in. The ethernet port is blinking with activity of some kind (my knowledge is admittedly limited) but otherwise it's not working.

Is this purely a configuration issue, or should I start investigating a hardware malfunction?

your "ip a" output is showing all interfaces are DOWN, however, they are showing altname for all interfaces too.

Have you tried updating the /etc/network/interfaces with the altname instead

1716676085628.png

and restarting the host or networking?

Yes I've tried replacing all of those network interfaces in the /etc/network/interfaces file with their altnames (ex: replace eno3 with enp1s0f2) with no success after a restart.

I also noticed some other threads recommending ifup or ifreload commands to restart networking, but whenever I run those I get Error: Another instance of this program is already running.

what is the output of
ifquery -c -a

If editing from the console, normally just this to restart the networking after changes to /etc/network/interfaces

systemctl restart networking.service

Very strange, this occurred after I plugged in two external optical drives to a USB hub. I couldn't imagine how those interacted negatively with the startup, especially for the networking, but I've removed them and everything is working as expected again...

(Thanks for the assistance nonetheless)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!