[SOLVED] Unable to connect to internet

divetrainer

Aug 10, 2024
Hey Y'all,

I am very new to proxmox and its set up kind of threw me for a loop to where I might have messed up. I am currently unable to access the internet from the proxmox but can connect to the intranet. i am able to access the gui as well as ssh into the machine but cannot ping out from the box. any help would be greatly appreciated!

Bash:
root@divelab:~# cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
192.168.1.106 divelab.local divelab

# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts

::1     ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

Bash:
root@divelab:~# cat /etc/network/interfaces
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface enp37s0 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        address 192.168.1.106/24
        gateway 192.168.0.1
        bridge-ports enp37s0
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0

source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

Bash:
root@divelab:~# ip -c a
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1000
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
    inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
    inet6 ::1/128 scope host noprefixroute
2: enp37s0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast master vmbr0 state UP group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 30:9c:23:03:9f:7b brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
9: vmbr0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state UP group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 30:9c:23:03:9f:7b brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    inet 192.168.1.106/24 scope global vmbr0
    inet6 fe80::329c:23ff:fe03:9f7b/64 scope link

Here is the ip a code as well

Looks like you have your router set to 192.168.0.1, while your IP is in the 192.168.1.X(/24) range, meaning it can't access the router.
So either the subnet is wrong (and should be a /23 or larger) or your gateway is wrong (and should perhaps be 192.168.1.1?)

If that's not the problem:
could you post the ip r as well, and also do/answer as a couple of basic questions/tests:
Have you tried restarting your Proxmox-server?
What router is it?
What is the DHCP-range of said router?

Some routers do not allow out-going traffic from IP's that it has in it's DHCP-range but it did not "hand out", and since proxmox does not try to renew the IP (since it is set static) it will not be renewed, but since it would respond to ping, hopefully it also isn't handed out to a different device.
If the DHCP-range of the router is for example from .10 to .250, try setting your Proxmox-server from .106/24 to .6/24

Reactions: divetrainer
thanks for the reply!

i changed the subnet to be xx.1.xx and the outbound traffic is still not going through to either ip or dns resolution

could you post the ip r as well, and also do/answer as a couple of basic questions/tests:
//
Bash:
root@divelab:~# ip r
default via 192.168.1.1 dev vmbr0 proto kernel onlink 
192.168.1.0/24 dev vmbr0 proto kernel scope link src 192.168.1.106
Have you tried restarting your Proxmox-server?
// yes, and running systemctl restart networking after every change to the /interfaces file and verified that the /hosts file is always staying the same
What router is it?
// I am using an ATT all in one router/modem model number: BGW320-500
What is the DHCP-range of said router?
// according to my device it is below
DHCPv4 Start Address192.168.1.64
DHCPv4 End Address192.168.1.253

i also did verify that there is not ip conflict as well noting that the right MAC is listed under static on my router

Before, you said you can't "ping out from the box", just to confirm, you mean a ping to the internet? If so, can you still ping your router or another device within your network from proxmox?

And looking at that, it looks like the server is within that DHCP-Range, which (like I mentioned) could cause the router to just block the IP all-together from getting internet-access (not sure if this specific router has that 'issue', but have seen it mentioned on here a couple of times, plus in general you'll want static devices outside of the fixed IP-range anyway).
You could try setting the server to a (free) IP between 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.63 (don't forget to fix the /etc/hosts file for that change as well)

And I see a couple of "missing" numbers in your ip a command, do you have any PCI(e) passthrough enabled for your VM's?

I could, before this last change, access the internal network but not the internet. I was able to ping my local machines on ethernet but not things like 1.1.1.1 and google.com

since I have made the IP change in /etc/network/interfaces and /etc/hosts/ I am no longer able to access either external or internal networks

i changed the IP to 192.168.1.4/30 in /etc/network/interfaces
i changed the IP to 192.168.1.4 in /etc/hosts/

I have not enabled anything. this is a fresh installation of proxmox on this machine. the only files i have changed have been /etc/hosts/ /etc/network/interfaces

weirdly since I have made those changes, I only see this on ip r

Bash:
ip r
default via 192.168.1.1 dev vmbr0 proto kernel onlink

i wonder if i did not change the ip in enough places

Last edited:
I'm not sure why you changed the subnet from /24 (correct) to /30 (not correct for this network), since I never asked you to change that.
So yeah, change it to 192.168.1.4/24 with gateway still 192.168.1.1 and then try again.

sorry sw-omit. When i was processing these changes I was also using a CIDR calculator and was running into confusions along the way.

I was able to resolve the issue by making the changes you suggested not in the shell but on proxmox's UI. that was what resolved the issue. it seems that when I set up proxmox, i messed up the initial set up so i was not making the changes in the right order.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!