Unable to boot proxmox VM

manouandry

Dec 5, 2019
Hi all,

I have Centos-7.6 and Ubuntu-18.04 VM, They work fine after the installation.
But after few days, I am unable to boot the VM (No bootable Media Found) after a shutdown, or after a restore from backup.
When checking with Rescue Linux, i found that my partition table on VM was erased.

At the beginning I thin that it was due to a misconfiguration in the VM. But the same behavior on the 2 VM make me think that the problem is on Proxmox.

I use PVE 5.3-8.

What do you think about guys ???
Thanks

Proxmox VE does not automatically access VM volumes, especially not their content.

What underlying storage do you use, can you post the output of following commands:

Code:
qm config <VMID>        # replace <VMID> with real ID from both
pvesm status

Or do you re-used the VM disk image somewhere?

Reactions: manouandry
thanks for your answer,

Of course, i have created template from both OS and I run many VM from the same template.
I've found workaround by dumping the MBR on a fresh instance (using DD) and restore it on the failed VM.
However, it's not safe to often rewrite MBR.

so, What may be the root cause ?

Here is the output for the Ubuntu VM:
1575671593150.png

For the Centos VM:

1575672959327.png

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!