Unable to boot imported Windows 7 machine (P2V) - BdsDxe: failed to load Boot0002 etc.

victorhooi

Apr 3, 2018
Hi,

I'm trying to convert a physical Windows 7 machine into Proxmox 5.4.

I have seen the wiki page here - https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Migration_of_servers_to_Proxmox_VE

On the Windows 7 machine, I ran the mergeide.reg file to import it. I then rebooted Windows, then shut it down. I then used a disk imager to create a dd-type raw disk image of the harddisk.

On Proxmox, I created a new VM:
  • OS type is Microsoft Windows, Version is 7/2008r2
  • System, BIOS is "OVMF (UEFI)"
  • System, Machine is i440fx (Default)
  • System, SCSI controller I left at VirtIO SCSI (I assume this isn't used if I use IDE on the next page)
  • Hard disk, Bus/Device is set to IDE, and storing the disk image on local-lvm
  • Network card is set to Intel E1000 for the NIC.
I then plugged in the external disk with the DD disk image, and then used dd to copy it back to the LVM disk for the above VM:
Code:
root@pve:/mnt/disk1/S_20190503150057# dd if=ditto-file.001 of=/dev/pve/vm-100-disk-0
468862128+0 records in
468862128+0 records out
240057409536 bytes (240 GB, 224 GiB) copied, 2131.24 s, 113 MB/s
(In this case, disk-0 appears to be the main OS disk, and disk-1 is some small disk created for UEFI).

However, when I try to boot the VM, I get the following error:
Code:
BdsDxe: failed to load Boot0002 "UEFI QEMU HARDDISK QM00001 " from PciRoot (0x0) /Pci (0x1,0x1) /Ata(Primary,Master,0x0) : Not Found
BdsDxe: failed to load Boot0001 "UEFI QEMU DVD-ROM QM00003 " from PciRoot (0x0) /Pci (0x1,0x1) /Ata(Secondary,Master,0x0) : Not Found

>> Start PXE over IPv4
[code]
Any ideas on how to fix this, or get it booting?

Have you ever figured it out?
I ran into this problem with VM restored from the backup. Apparently I'm unable to boot ANY OVMF VM restored to lvm-thin. Curious how proxmox team would explain this.

I have the same issue, I'm not sure how to get the UEFI vhd image to boot within proxmox. Any help would be appreciated!

I have the same issue, I'm not sure how to get the UEFI vhd image to boot within proxmox. Any help would be appreciated!

Ok, I was able to get it to boot. Here's what I did:
  • installed the mergeide.reg as instructed here
  • pulled the nvme drive put it into the new proxmox box
  • create the vm within proxmox where we want the image installed
    • setup a new IDE disk the same size as the disk we want to image
    • check the disk location is /dev/rpool/data/vm-101-disk-0
  • create an image of the nvme drive
    • dd if=/dev/nvme0n1 of=/dev/rpool/data/vm-101-disk-0 bs=1G status=progress
  • set bios to UEFI
    • no need to add the UEFI disk that proxmox complains about, the image above has a UEFI partition
  • set Machine = i440fx
    • I couldn't get q35 to work
  • on "Options->Boot Order" in the settings for the VM set 'Disk ide0' to be first

• set bios to UEFI
    • no need to add the UEFI disk that proxmox complains about, the image above has a UEFI partition
that is not the same, the efi disk we want is for the non-volatile storage of the EFI vars, that has nothing to do with a uefi partition

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!