[SOLVED] unable to backup VM permission denied

nimoinau

Oct 18, 2017
hello,
i'm a new user of proxmox 5.
I installed proxmox on a ssd in a hp microserver gen8.
In proxmox, i've created 2 VM : openmediavault and jeedom.
In my microserver, i have 3 others sata disks.
I mounted these 3 disks in openmediavault as share folders with nfs and samba.
I've created in openmediavault a shared folder named backupVM in order to backup the VM of proxmox.
In proxmox, i've created a nfs storage named backupVM.
But when i try to backup, it fails.
I've got a message :
could not get storage information for 'BackupVM': mkdir /mnt/pve/BackupVM/dump: Permission denied at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/Storage/Plugin.pm line 872

i don't have any idea of what it wrong. sorry i'm a newbee.
thanks for your help.

The user you mount the NFS share as is not allowed to write to either the mountpoint or the share. Assuming you mount as root you may want to look into mounting as a different user, that you give write access on the share. Or configure a mapping on the server.

i found the solution.
i had to add the option no_root_squash in openmediavault nfs share options
see in this post :
Be warned that no_root_squash is not without risk

Apologies for the necro, but I had this same issue and this is the top thread that comes up when I search Google. There is another solution than using no_root_squash.

The error given under "contents" when reviewing the storage you're trying to mount is:

mkdir /mnt/pve/VM-Templates/private: Permission denied at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/Storage/Plugin.pm line 872. (500)

The important part seems to be the first half of the above, which explains that Proxmox is unable to make the directory titled "private" in "VM-Templates." If you create this directory yourself in your OS of choice, however, this seems to fix the problem. You will have to repeat this process to create all the directories needed. This will depend on what you've told Proxmox your NFS share contains, but this required me to create the folders: dump, images, private, template, and within template: cache, images and iso. After that you should be good to go. Probably a hack of a solution, but seems better than opening up your system to vulnerabilities.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!