Unable to apt update from Proxmox VM

eltsu

Sep 25, 2024
Here is your text translated into English:

I have encountered a critical issue on my Proxmox journey. For some reason, I cannot use the apt update command to download the latest packages on my Ubuntu virtual machines in Proxmox. I have tried everything possible, read through all the forums, fiddled with all the network card settings and other configurations, but nothing helps.
I have Proxmox running on a Hetzner dedicated server, and it works flawlessly. I can use apt update on the Proxmox node, but not on any of my VMs.
I have a total of 3 VMs:
  1. Hosting VM Ubuntu server, for which I purchased a dedicated IP from Hetzner.
  2. Hosting VM Ubuntu server, which shares the same IP as the Proxmox, but has SSH port 2201 and Minecraft server port 25565 routed to it.
  3. General web server VM Ubuntu server, for which I purchased a dedicated IP from Hetzner.
I cannot use apt update on any of the machines, although I can access the external network from all the machines (e.g., ping 8.8.8.8), and I can access these machines from the external network, e.g., via SSH or HTTP web server.
APT UPDATE just doesn’t work.

At first, it just tries to connect:
1727272767226.png

But then i get
1727272783877.png

Thanks!

Hi!

Could you post your /etc/network/interfaces from your host? And configurations of the vms (qm config $VMID)? Are there any firewall rules in place?

Best

Last edited:
Hi!

Could you post your /etc/network/interfaces from your host? And configurations of the vms (qm config $VMID)? Are there any firewall rules in place?

Best
1727273823259.png
Proxmox and Hetzner firewalls are completely disabled for debugging.

Are the dedicated IPs you purchased in the same Network as your PVE-host IP?

The 'up sysctl -p' in the vmbr0 config looks suspicious!

Are the dedicated IPs you purchased in the same Network as your PVE-host IP?

The 'up sysctl -p' in the vmbr0 config looks suspicious!
Yeah those are directly purchase to that dedicated server.
And also those ips work, i can access right vms using those ips and access example proxmox.com from the vm using these custom ordered public ips

Mhm difficult to say, have you tried on vanilla ubuntu machines without the immunify repos? Did you use an offline installer at initial setup? I'm just asking as I do not know about these immunify360 repos and what this software (which seems reachable) actually does. A quick readup tells me it most certainly does something with iptables rules.

Last edited:
Mhm difficult to say, have you tried on vanilla ubuntu machines without the immunify repos? Did you use an offline installer at initial setup? I'm just asking as I do not know about these immunify360 repos and what this software (which seems reachable) actually does. A quick readup tells me it most certainly does something with iptables rules.
I tried also fresh Ubuntu and Debian, on both they cannot access mirrors on installation or apt update when freshly installed
This example images are just from one of my Ubuntu servers wich host that cPanel server. As you can see Imufy works but it cannot access ubuntus servers

I tried also fresh Ubuntu and Debian, on both they cannot access mirrors on installation or apt update when freshly installed
This example images are just from one of my Ubuntu servers wich host that cPanel server. As you can see Imufy works but it cannot access ubuntus servers
And i am kind of rush here, i have to get servers working before 30.9. monday. I appresiate your help a lot!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!