Unable to add iscsi LUN to Prox

farfy

Apr 3, 2024
I've got a 40TB LUN created on a Dell PowerVault MD3200i. I'm extremely new to Proxmox, so have been trying to follow the wiki on setting up multipath and the iscsi connection, but I can't continue because I'm unable to see the LUN via proxmox.

I've added the iscsi connection, and it shows that it's up and connected:

Code:
Target: iqn.1984-05.com.dell:powervault.md3200i.644a8420001619be00000000552f1020 (non-flash)                                                                                                       
        Current Portal: 10.10.1.10:3260,1                                                                                                                                                           
        Persistent Portal: 10.10.1.10:3260,1                                                                                                                                                       
                **********                                                                                                                                                                         
                Interface:                                                                                                                                                                         
                **********                                                                                                                                                                         
                Iface Name: default                                                                                                                                                                 
                Iface Transport: tcp                                                                                                                                                               
                Iface Initiatorname: iqn.1993-08.org.debian:01:c51f76cb72cb                                                                                                                         
                Iface IPaddress: 10.10.1.1                                                                                                                                                         
                Iface HWaddress: default                                                                                                                                                           
                Iface Netdev: default                                                                                                                                                               
                SID: 1                                                                                                                                                                             
                iSCSI Connection State: LOGGED IN                                                                                                                                                   
                iSCSI Session State: LOGGED_IN                                                                                                                                                     
                Internal iscsid Session State: NO CHANGE

But when I attempt to create the LVM, the Base Group never populates. I saw someone had asked another user to post the results of
Code:
iscsiadm --mode discovery --type sendtargets --portal <ip-of-your-iscsi-server>
and they were able to see the lun, but when I run it on my host, I get:

Code:
10.10.1.10:3260,1 iqn.1984-05.com.dell:powervault.md3200i.644a8420001619be00000000552f1020                                                                                                         
10.11.1.10:3260,1 iqn.1984-05.com.dell:powervault.md3200i.644a8420001619be00000000552f1020                                                                                                         
10.12.1.10:3260,1 iqn.1984-05.com.dell:powervault.md3200i.644a8420001619be00000000552f1020                                                                                                         
10.13.1.10:3260,1 iqn.1984-05.com.dell:powervault.md3200i.644a8420001619be00000000552f1020

Which doesn't show the lun at all, and is just the same connection repeated? Can anyone help! been trying to get this working for like 2 weeks now

Last edited:
Are you sure you configured your storage device properly? I.e. assigned LUN to the portal group/target or whatever your vendor calls it?

You have to keep in mind that PVE uses native Linux (Debian userland) tools to connect to iSCSI. Specifically iscsiadm. Your storage vendor must have a guide somewhere on how to connect and test iSCSI connectivity to a Linux system.
I would highly recommend reaching out to your storage vendor support so they can sanity check your configuration. Thats what you paid them for after all.
So far, based on your output, it does not look like anything in PVE is misconfigured.

Good luck

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Are you sure you configured your storage device properly? I.e. assigned LUN to the portal group/target or whatever your vendor calls it?

You have to keep in mind that PVE uses native Linux (Debian userland) tools to connect to iSCSI. Specifically iscsiadm. Your storage vendor must have a guide somewhere on how to connect and test iSCSI connectivity to a Linux system.
I would highly recommend reaching out to your storage vendor support so they can sanity check your configuration. Thats what you paid them for after all.
So far, based on your output, it does not look like anything in PVE is misconfigured.

Good luck

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox
unfortunately, there is no support, this is a retired storage array from work, so I'm on my own :/ but I've checked the documentation and everything seems to be good on the storage array side, but i can't get prox to see the LUN

If the LUN is properly assigned to target, then it should show up in "lsscsi". There is nothing Proxmox specific about "iscsiadm" login/connection.
You could try to run "iscsiadm -m session -P " to get more information. To me it seems like a storage array/target issue.

Update for anyone in the future....

I solved this, 1 of the iscsi controller modules had a bad battery. Finally received the replacement battery, and was then able to update firmware on the controllers. After that, it worked first time trying to add the storage...so, was something in the firmware on the actual storage array

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!