Unable to access VM port from PVE

JavierB

Apr 8, 2024
I'm new to proxmox and have done my initial setup, all seems to work fine.

I plan to install nginx directly on the proxmox host, and from there redirect to some VM's as HomeAssistant.

I have setup HASSOS on a VM, but my proxmox cannot access the IP:pORT , however I can access it from any other machine in the network.

Seems like PVE does not have direct access to the VM's

/etc/network/interfaces
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eno1 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 192.168.1.2
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.1
bridge-ports eno1
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0

source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

HASSOS

# cat /etc/pve/qemu-server/100.conf
agent: 1
bios: ovmf
boot: order=scsi0
cores: 4
cpu: x86-64-v2-AES
efidisk0: local-lvm:vm-100-disk-0,efitype=4m,size=4M
ide2: none,media=cdrom
memory: 3072
meta: creation-qemu=8.1.5,ctime=1708882201
name: HomeAssistant
net0: virtio=BC:24:11:90:04:94,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1
numa: 0
onboot: 1
ostype: l26
scsi0: local-lvm:vm-100-disk-1,cache=writethrough,iothread=1,size=32G
scsihw: virtio-scsi-single
smbios1: uuid=f4bc975b-3810-47b9-8bd3-6002c6bc4d4b
sockets: 1
vmgenid: d157eaf2-9e19-49d0-b83a-48cecb148931

# telnet 192.168.1.3 8123
Trying 192.168.1.3...
No answer...

From my laptop:

> telnet 192.168.1.3 8123
Trying 192.168.1.3...
Connected to 192.168.1.3.
Escape character is '^]'.

Why I cannot access the IP:pORT from the proxmox host to the VM?

Thanks!

I plan to install nginx directly on the proxmox host, and from there redirect to some VM's as HomeAssistant.
Why? Good practice is not running anything on the hypervisor itself that could also be run as a guest. So usually you would run that nginx in a VM or LXC.
Would increase security, makes backups/restores easier, easier in case you ever need to reinstall your PVE, would allow for migration, less problems because less dependencies, ...

Last edited:
Why? Good practice is not running anything on the hypervisor itself that could also be run as a guest. So usually you would run that nginx in a VM or LXC.
Would increase security, makes backups/restores easier, easier in case you ever need to reinstall your PVE, would allow for migration, less problems because less dependencies, ...
This is due lack of resources, the environment running proxmox is very old HW.
Also for me is easier to setup the home router to redirect all traffic to proxmox host, and from there handle connections.
It might not be the smart thing to do, but that's what I'm trying now.
In any case, is it possible to connect from proxmox host to the IP/port of a running VM? or is this restricted somehow?

Also for me is easier to setup the home router to redirect all traffic to proxmox host, and from there handle connections.
I don't see why this should be easier than port-forwarding to the IP of the LXC/VM instead of the PVEs IP.

This is due lack of resources, the environment running proxmox is very old HW.
LXCs are so low on ressources. You can`t spend 2GB storage and 128MB RAM for an LXC to do it properly?

Let's not argue about which option is best, in the future I will explore what you are suggesting for sure.

Let's stick only to the question if it's possible to access the VM host/port from the PVE hypervisor itself.

What @Dunuin said is fully correct. You want to leave your hypervisor alone as much as possible for good reason. Specially if you are thinking of deploying something like nginx. I never tried it. It may mess up your Proxmox GUI dashboard or, it may not. You will find out. There is pre-built nginx LXC template ready to download and deploy straight from Proxmox GUI. Something to keep in mind for the future. Even on your old hardware with extremely resources, you should be able to allocate workable resources to the LXC.

No, Proxmox host does not have direct access into a KVM. KVM provides total isolation unlike LXC. If both Proxmox host and the VM is on the same network subnet plain, there is no reason ping will not go through. Check if you have configured Proxmox firewall for the VM. See if you can ping the host from inside the VM. Perhaps try a traceroute from the Proxmox host and see where is it getting stuck.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!