Unable to access to PVE Web gui via domain or public IP, but able to access them via local IP

KingColton

Aug 21, 2024
So for a backstory; I wasn't happy with tailscale because I put them on proxmox host and it made all websites inaccessible. So I decided to uninstall tailscale and purged anything that is leftover in network interfaces. Now that I am able to connect to the web gui as well as another websites running in their own LXCs via Caddy in its own LXC. I already set up my domain and successfully received certification and installed prior to tailscale installation which were working just fine. Do note that I'm hosting Proxmox in my home server using NAT and DHCP setup. I'm fairly new with proxmox but I think I'm able to grasp the concept of proxmox; just need to get through the network situation to be done with it.

To summary; after I uninstalled tailscale on Proxmox host + purge anything that is leftover added by tailscale, I can't access to the web gui with my own domain but I can SSH into that just fine and using local ip:8006 works fine as well.

I made sure;
- My domains are pointing to my public IP correctly, including the one that is used to access web gui.
- 8006 port is open in my router and firewall
- A subdomain I use to access web gui is on ACME and has SSL certification.
- resolv.conf is OK

I've been looking through this forum and reddit but to no avail. Maybe I might've missed something that led to the web gui being totally inaccessible with domain and public IP? thanks

Just to confirm, you say you can access the server through SSH from outside?
Cause if not, my first thought was/would have been: Is the default gateway set correctly + do you have any strange routes in the ip r command (90% of the time there should only be 2 lines in there)
Also, are you testing this from "really" outside (aka on mobile internet or from a different building's internet), or just using the outside name/ip while on lan/wifi at home?
Cause some routers block "loopback" access to port-forwards by default

Just to confirm, you say you can access the server through SSH from outside?
Cause if not, my first thought was/would have been: Is the default gateway set correctly + do you have any strange routes in the ip r command (90% of the time there should only be 2 lines in there)
Also, are you testing this from "really" outside (aka on mobile internet or from a different building's internet), or just using the outside name/ip while on lan/wifi at home?
Cause some routers block "loopback" access to port-forwards by default
Yes, I can access the server through SSH from outside no problem. Also, I tested this from my phone and in my laptop at my friend's house for accessing to web gui using my domain https://pve.mydomain.com:8006. Still can't access to there. I can only use my local ip https://192.168.1.220:8006 to access at my home but I want to use my domain and HTTPS instead.

I ran ip r and it show me three lines (vnet0 is used for all of my containers' IPs, I'm using IP forward);
Code:
default via 192.168.1.254 dev vmbr0 proto kernel onlink
10.0.0.0/24 dev vnet0 proto kernel scope link src 10.0.0.1
192.168.1.0/24 dev vmbr0 proto kernel scope link src 192.168.1.220

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!