Unable to access PVE Host from LAN

Hutas

Mar 27, 2021
Dear all,

I'm an enthousiastic beginner, running proxmox and pfsense VM for a year now, and very happy with its performance.
Forgive me if I my question below is of the 'obvious', but after reading hundreds of posts, I am still not able to figure it out.

Attached:
1. Overview of my (working) setup
2. Some proxmox config-screenshots
3. /etc/network/interfaces

Setup:
Proxmox is installed on a pc with 6 NICs.
Proxmox is setup with 3 bridges:
- vmbr0 --> NIC-6 --> PVE host management port 10.0.200.10/24

- vmbr1 --> NIC-1 --> PFsense WAN port
- vmbr2 --> NIC-2 --> PFsense LAN port - 10.0.100.0/24 (+ VLAN10 10.0.1.0/24 servers, + VLAN20 10.0.0.0/24 IOT)

Problem:
- VIA NIC-6, I am able to manage proxmox. I don't want to lose this feature, because when PFSense is down, I'll still be able to access PVE

--> however, I would like to access PVE Host also via the LAN. (or even put PVE Host in the server VLAN10 network). But for the love of god, I can't figure out how to do this.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.
Vernon

Attachments

• Overview.png
    Overview.png
    50.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 1.png
    1.png
    30.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 2.png
    2.png
    39 KB · Views: 7
  • etc_network_interfaces.txt
    784 bytes · Views: 3
Why don't you give PVE another IP in the 10.0.100.0/24 or 10.0.1.0/24 subnet? You shouldn't assign two gateways or two IPs in the same subnet, but its fine if you give your PVE host a IP in different subnets.

Edit:
I see you already gave your PVE host a IP for vmbr2. So you should be able to access your Webui/SSH from your LAN: https://10.0.100.10:8006

And if you want your PVE accessible from VLAN10 you could add something like this:
Code:
auto vmbr2.10
iface vmbr2.10 inet static
        address 10.0.1.2/24
Then your PVE host should sit with the IP 10.0.1.2 in VLAN10.

Last edited:
Dunuin,
thank you for your swift advice, much appreciated.

Interesting fact/discovery:
if I connect my laptop on an 'untagged port' on the managed switch, pfsense LAN DHCP gives my laptop an IP in the LAN network: 10.0,100,201.

Now my laptop able to connect to all devices on the 10,0,100,0/24 network (= Pfsense 10.0.100.1, managed switch 10.0.100.2 AND(!) yes... also Proxmox on 10,0,100,10 (and SSH too).

Putting my laptop back on managed switch tagged vlan20 port... my laptop gets its static IP 10.0.0.120 and through pfsense routing and firewall rules I am able to connect to the LAN net and to its devices, = pfsense (10.0.100.1) and managed switch (10.0.100.2).... but NOT(!) proxmox.... :( (even if I set pfsense firewall rules completely open (pass any protocol from any to any) on both LAN net and VLAN20 net .... and SSH to Proxmox is also not possible (meaning both ports 8006 and 22 to Proxmox 10,0,100,10 is not possible)

However I am afraid this is not really a proxmox issue anymore.... but rather a pfsense roadbump... however, if anybody has any golden tip or test, before I take this to a pfsense forum, I'd still be super grateful :)

Kind regards,
Vernon

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!