Unable to access PVE from VPN but can access guests

maigoultd

Jun 13, 2022
After implementing a temporary PPTP VPN while i wait for a firewall appliance, i am unable to access PVE from the VPN network. What is odd is that i can access guests, which are on the same subnet.

PVE is 192.168.0.200
Guests are 192.168.0.2XX

VPN is 192.168.2.2-192.168.2.10

Both are connected to the same router/gateway, 192.168.0.1.

Firewalls are disabled

Hi,

are you running the VPN server in a Container/VM? How does your /etc/network/interfaces look?

Hi,

are you running the VPN server in a Container/VM? How does your /etc/network/interfaces look?

It's running on my router (192.168.0.1), a (rather underpowered) Archer C7v5 which i am replacing with said fw appliance.

1656075996909.png

This is the output of interfaces.

I should also note that i changed the DHCP scope of the VPN network to be on the same subnet as PVE and i was able to access it. While this will work as a temporary solution i'd like to find the root cause as to why this may be happening.

Last edited:
Are your guests getting an IP via DHCP or do they have fixed ones?

I would guess this was caused by some route issue on the router ... since you didn't change anything on the Proxmox host ... :)

I assume your issue is that packets reach your HV but your HV does not know where to send the reply as your VPN is likely a separate network.

To cope with that you could add a custom route to correctly send the replies back to your VPN address:

Bash:
auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
    address <your_host_ip>/<cidr>
    bridge-ports none
    bridge-stp off
    bridge-fd 0
    bridge-vlan-aware yes
    bridge-vids 2-4094

up route add -net <your_vpn_network>/<cidr> gw <your_vpn_server_address>

Let me know if you need a more in depth explanation / example.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!