[SOLVED] Ubuntu VM install bugs (DNS+hostname)? Or me being a dumb user

Julien Croy

Dec 26, 2018
So I dont know if this is just my local network causing me problems but its been repeatable and Ive spent two days trying to figure out and only 1 hour ago have I figured it out. Its occurred on both 18.04 and 18.10. Somehow the name servers and search settings for dns are being assigned incorrectly. Messing around with /etc/netplan/ seemed to help. I followed a guide (cant post cause Im a newbie). Another issue ive noticed is that the etc/hosts is also incorrect, I had to modify this as sudo was taking forever (added in my hostname).

Somewhat related notes:
  • Could this be related to a badly configured network? The server was working fine when I was at my families house. When I got home I reinstalled proxmox as it was quicker (had no guests to care about). I think its related to proxmox because vmware workstation does not have this issue. Looking around the forums apparently its not a proxmox issue somehow. This part I dont really get because the same iso was used on vmware as proxmox with only proxmox showing this problem.
  • Weirdly enough proxmox host did not have any networking issues but the vms did. I tried debian also and it had the same issue. I want to say this is me fucking the proxmox install up but it cant be because I had a working install without issue on another network.
  • Thoughts? Containers work fine but vms do not.

Last edited:
Mhh, i don't see any relations here to PVE.

You talk about VMs on which you installed an OS, this OS has his own Kernel etc. so they is nothing which is related to PVE. If you say, the DNS Search String and DNS are wrong, then you have an problem in your network, but not in PVE because PVE does not offer any of those services.

Otherwise give us a little more information, but from the given one, i really don't see any relation to PVE.

You talk about VMs on which you installed an OS, this OS has his own Kernel etc. so they is nothing which is related to PVE. If you say, the DNS Search String and DNS are wrong, then you have an problem in your network, but not in PVE because PVE does not offer any of those services.

Otherwise give us a little more information, but from the given one, i really don't see any relation to PVE.

hmm I get that logic, my brain is fried cause ive been running on little sleep and staring at a screen for 2 days. Il update if I have relevant information/once i establish a checklist. Is there somewhere I can download premade cloud init templates so that I can throw in my settings and eliminate that its host related and figure out if its network related?

Well im closing this thread. Reset the router cause it turned out my roomate forgot the password. So for all I know something was buggy on the network. Ashamed that it took me long to fix this stupid problem on my account.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!