Ubuntu screen blank (black) after resolution change on auto-login VM

stewlg

Jul 8, 2020
I have a few Ubuntu VMs I use in interactive mode on the console. I've been running older, obsolete versions of Ubuntu because whenever I try to upgrade / rebuild with a new VM, I get stuck with the same issue.

To reproduce (for me at least):

- Install Ubuntu on Promox VM (ubuntu-22.04.2-desktop-amd64.iso)
- Choose auto-login during installation
- install all patches offered

At this point, the VM will be able to reboot, and auto-login will work. You can restart repeatedly and the VM will auto-login and remain properly interactive, as it should.

But, go to Settings and switch to 1920 x 1080 screen resolution and the problems will start, for me.

* Sometimes you will be unable to switch to 1920 x 1080. The screen will change size, but stop updating, so you can't assent to the resolution change and then it reverts. If it fails to change, you may get a Ubuntu 22.04 error, a SIGSEGV in gnome-shell.
* If it does work, it will seem to be fine, but once you reboot you'll get a black screen that you can't interact with until the console locks after several minutes. This makes the VM nearly useless for my purposes.

I'm running the following Proxmox version:
Linux 5.15.107-2-pve #1 SMP PVE 5.15.107-2 (2023-05-10T09:10Z)
pve-manager/7.4-3/9002ab8a

For OVMF (UEFI) BIOS:

1. Edit VM's display settings and set video memory to 24 MiBs.

Graphic card: Default
Memory (MiB): 24

2. During boot hit Esc to enter UEFI BIOS and set Device Manager / OVMF Platform Configuration /
Change Preferred 1920x1080 / F10=Save / Y / Esc / Esc / Reset.

3. Select the same resolution in Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop.

Last edited:
For OVMF (UEFI) BIOS:

2. During boot hit Esc to enter UEFI BIOS and set Device Manager / OVMF Platform Configuration /
Change Preferred 1920x1080 / F10=Save / Y / Esc / Esc / Reset.

2. Select the same resolution in Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop.
Thanks, but I have SeaBios, not UEFI for that VM. Is there something similar for SeaBIOS?

For Default (SeaBIOS) BIOS:

2. Select your preferred resolution in Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!