Ubuntu OEM mode issue in PVE

adamjosh

Oct 3, 2016
Taiwan
Hi there,
I am new in PVE. I try to clone Ubuntu template in my PVE, my ISO installations in PVE4.3 cluster in RBD for Ubuntu 12.04.5, 14.04.4, and 14.04.5 OEM install for manufacturers are always encountered hang up while the booting goes "stopping system v runlevel compatibility" or "Stopping CPU interrupts balancing daemon". I try many times and also follow up the instruction as following. However this issue still occurs while I perform reboot in that OEM Ubuntu, even I clone this build to a template. Meanwhile Ubuntu LTS 16.04.1 doesn't have such this issue I have confirmed during OEM installation.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/738790/stopping-system-v-runlevel-compatibility-ubuntu-14-04-lts
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/VM_Templates_and_Clones

I would like to inquire about, is there any people have the same problem with me? Or this is a known problem that can be solved by the workaround way. My objective is just made Ubuntu template in my PVE. Any suggestion will be appreciated.

ubuntu-12.04.5-server-amd64.iso
ubuntu-14.04.4-server-amd64.iso
ubuntu-14.04.5-server-amd64.iso

rFSxrMv.png

LwFbXb1.png

okjVS7A.png

It looks like an Ubuntu kernel problem.
What does happen when you boot into recovery mode from the Ubuntu Grub menu ?

Hi Manu,

Thank you for your hint.

boot into recovery mode from the Ubuntu Grub menu ? -> The result is still the same, refer the following screen captures.

I am curious to ask, is there any the successful case for this OEM of Ubuntu template?

I make the template of CentOS and Windows series successfully. But just failure in Ubuntu template for version 12.04 LTS and 14.04LTS.

Or else is there any other alternative way to make this such Ubuntu template ?

Sincerely
Adam

uBKA7xy.png

EfJveAc.png

3QliCBO.png

wNnurWy.png

FaOE8ci.png

Last edited:
It looks like a problem with your image. Actually why are you using the OEM version of Ubuntu ? IIRC it is targetted for OEM wanting to preinstall ubuntu on a laptop, and letting after the user on first configure the computer for his/her need.
Would not be the ubuntu server iso a better fit when creating your template ?

Hi manu,

I use Ubuntu server ISO for the installation rather desktop version, refer following my ISO.
  1. ubuntu-12.04.5-server-amd64.iso -> hang up issue
  2. ubuntu-14.04.4-server-amd64.iso -> hang up issue
  3. ubuntu-14.04.5-server-amd64.iso -> hang up issue
  4. ubuntu-16.04.1-server-amd64.iso -> successful
In Proxmox wiki of template section, OEM mode is the recommendation, is it?
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/VM_Templates_and_Clones

Is there other alternative way I can compose an Ubuntu template in PVE?

uiDwF8l.png

Thanks,
Adam

I did a test install og Ubuntu 14.04 in OEM and cloned it successfully.

On boot I get

Stopping System V runlevel compatibility
as the last boot sequence message

and after a login prompt

I am suspecting something wrong in the images you created, also indicated by the failure to activate swap.

If OEM templating does not work for you, then do a standard mode install.
If you installed the openssh-server package during a install, then remove the ssh server host key before turning your install image into a template.

cd /etc/ssh
rm ssh_host*

on first boot of the VM created from clone then do

dpkg-reconfigure openssh-server

this will create new ssh server keys which are then unique to this VM

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!