Ubuntu ARM on Intel host?

Proximate

Feb 13, 2022
I've read snippets here and there that there is a way to install the Ubuntu ARM version on a Proxmox host running Intel Xeon chips. E5-2690 to be exact.
I cannot find anything that confirms this or shares what virtual CPU I should be using when trying to install such an OS.

Can anyone share some input?
My goal is to have an ARM based vm where I can develop ARM projects using QT Creator.

AFIK emulating an ARM cpu with a x86-64 one causes something like 99% performance penalty, but that's a long time ago. Maybe things has changed since then.

I'd be happy to test it if I could find information on which CPU type and other settings to use.
If I could emulate an ARM device on proxmox, it would save me a ton of work trying to use smaller, slower devices.

Last edited:
I would suggest a Raspberry Pi, which is low-cost, powerful enough to handle most things you can throw at the small board and it has a real ARM cpu.

Anyway, here's QEMU's doc for emulating ARM cpu:
https://www.qemu.org/docs/master/system/target-arm.html

I don't think there's Web UI for this in PVE so you'll probably have to roll on your own using QEMU;s cli.

Last edited:
That's what I've been using but wanted to see if I could take advantage of the more powerful vm host emulating an ARM CPU.

The only Orange Pi I see doesn't seem to be the one I need to develop for, which is the Orange Pi 3B.

It's a moot point after all. There is a QT Creator version for ARM but it's quite messy using source. I'll go with x86.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!