Ubuntu 20.04.04 machine freezes

If you have the same issue as @IlyaK (or another issue introduced with 5.4.0-122-generic) it should help:
issues occured again tonight after downgrade to 5.4.0-121-generic
but the system seems didn't freeze totally and the cpu Utilization also didn't reach to 100%

network connection didn't work

1659626966159.png

We are also seeing that hot migration from server with kernel 5.15.39-1-pve stops working once it's migrated to the other hypervisor. Migrating from server with new kernels we do not see the same behavior.

I have a problem when installing ubuntu server there is a crash "generating crash report" even though I installed it by defaultScreenshot 2023-08-04 224909.png

I just installed Promox and created my first VM(Ubuntu Server), and found the same issue, freezing without any way to restore the VM.

I just installed Promox and created my first VM(Ubuntu Server), and found the same issue, freezing without any way to restore the VM.
Just wanted to update and say that I resolved my issue by turning-off all power saving features, including c-states - hasn't happened since

I am having exactly the same issues - host CPU is a Celeron J6412 (Protectli VP2420), the Proxmox 8.0.3 host is running 2 VMs and is lightly loaded. This is my first Proxmox host, moving away from ESXi, so the setup is fairly vanilla.

The first VM, pfSense firewall, runs perfectly with no issues whatsoever. The Ubuntu 22.04.3 VM crashes sporadically, generally through the night it seems and when it has crashed the memory is always maxed out and one CPU is running 100%. As a test I increased the guest RAM from 8GB to 16GB and the crashes happen less frequently but still do happen.

@JohnBee Where did you disable power savings? In the Ubuntu guest or in Proxmox host? Any clues to what you did gratefully received.

I am having exactly the same issues - host CPU is a Celeron J6412 (Protectli VP2420), the Proxmox 8.0.3 host is running 2 VMs and is lightly loaded. This is my first Proxmox host, moving away from ESXi, so the setup is fairly vanilla.

The first VM, pfSense firewall, runs perfectly with no issues whatsoever. The Ubuntu 22.04.3 VM crashes sporadically, generally through the night it seems and when it has crashed the memory is always maxed out and one CPU is running 100%. As a test I increased the guest RAM from 8GB to 16GB and the crashes happen less frequently but still do happen.

@JohnBee Where did you disable power savings? In the Ubuntu guest or in Proxmox host? Any clues to what you did gratefully received.
Have you tried installing the latest Intel microcode? The freezing issue is a known one that is nearly always resolved by updating the microcode. If you search these forums, there's plenty of guides on how to do it and why it's required.

Thank you for the hint. My searches took me here and I updated the Debian Firmware Repository and ran
Code:
apt install intel-microcode
but I get the same results -
Code:
# grep microcode /proc/cpuinfo | uniq
microcode    : 0x1
# dmesg | grep microcode
[    0.295779] MDS: Vulnerable: Clear CPU buffers attempted, no microcode

Did I miss something here? The output from apt showed the latest microcode version that Ubuntu lists, is it necessary to go to the latest 'unstable' version? I ran this on the guest VM but should this be updating the microcode on the Proxmox host? Apologies for the beginner questions :)

Running
Code:
apt dist-upgrade
did give lots of updates mentioning firmware so perhaps that will help. I did this to the host too.

Last edited:
You'll need to add the non-free-firmware repositories to /etc/apt/sources.list

Code:
# Include Intel microcode firmware
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian bookworm main contrib non-free-firmware
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian bookworm-updates main contrib non-free-firmware

Then run:

Code:
sudo apt update && sudo apt install intel-microcode

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!