Two VM's NIC in the same SDN simple Zone VNet can ping to each other but no traffic can pass through...

gunterwa

Apr 1, 2022
I am new to PVE SDN, configured two VMs' NIC in the same VNet of the same simple Zone, get IP from dhcp... the two VMs can ping to each other but other communication can be done, I tried RCP, NC, FTP, both failed. When I move the two NICs to PVE bridge, they can communicate well.
I guess the VNet in PVE SDN simple Zone may block all traffic but ICMP, any comment on this?

Is the Proxmox firewall active and have you configured any rules to let traffic pass it? First thing I would do is turn off all the proxmox firewalls (can be turned off at the VM level at the node level and at the data center level within Proxmox) and then see what kind of behavior you see.

Is the Proxmox firewall active and have you configured any rules to let traffic pass it? First thing I would do is turn off all the proxmox firewalls (can be turned off at the VM level at the node level and at the data center level within Proxmox) and then see what kind of behavior you see.
Hi Louie, thanks for your attention .).

I just turned off FW in both the three levels, and retried got the same result...

My PVE is now on v8.1.4, I created two VMs and one NIC per VM. When I put the two NICs in the same Linux Bridge w/ or w/o VLAN can both ping and rcp files, if I put the two NICs in SDN VNet the two VMs can still ping to each other BUT RCP can only get connected (password verified by remote peer) NO file transfer any more... I tried netcat and got the same result.

Two VM's NICs in the same Linux Bridge:

two-vm-nic-same-linux-bridge.png

rcp-work-well.png

Two VM's NICs in the same SDN VNet:

twp-vm-nic-same-SDN-VNet.png

Screenshot 2024-03-25 at 18.20.18.png

RCP password checked and file transfer started ... NO file transfer!

Though this is not a must-have deployment option, but I do want to know the root cause.

iperf3 works here, VM are windows guest (with windows firewall allowed rules)
with firewall rules or with without firewall.

Last edited:
iperf3 works here, VM are windows guest (with windows firewall allowed rules)
with firewall rules or with without firewall.
My VM are Ubuntu20.04 guest, all FW (VM level, node level and DC level) are all turned off...
So, your two windows VMs can rcp files over NICs in SDN VNet?

I tried again...

Screenshot 2024-03-25 at 22.31.15.png
Screenshot 2024-03-25 at 22.31.40.png

Moving the two NICs from SDN VNet to Linux bridge iperf/iper3/nc/rcp work well...

Last edited:
your two windows VMs can rcp files over NICs in SDN VNet?
no rcp as guest are Windows but no traffic problem.
Of course, it's the expected operation. here iperf3 over vnet1 is 19,6 Gbits/sec (cpu bounded).

Post into [CODE][/CODE] tags (no screenshots) output of
Code:
cat /etc/network/interfaces
cat /etc/network/interfaces.d/sdn
head -n-0 * /etc/pve/sdn

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!