Two nodes connecting to iSCSI shared storage with different IP addresses?

dswartz

Dec 13, 2010
I currently have shared storage on a omnios ZFS appliance via NFS. This uses a 10gb enet interface. I have a second host in the cluster which is normally off (it is a smaller, older host.) Literally only used to migrate guests to while doing maintenance on the primary host. Currently I need to have a noisy 10gb switch to allow both hosts to be plugged in. I am thinking of moving the storage to iSCSI instead. What I would like to do is have the primary host connect to the iSCSI server using 192.168.2.0/24 (the 10gb subnet) and have the secondary host host connect via 10.0.0.0/24 (the regular 1gb subnet.) I was doing something like this when I was using vsphere, and it worked fine then. I'm not real knowledgeable about iSCSI in linux, is this something that would work? Thanks!

I see no problem with that since this will be two different portals so you could simply configure it as two separate storages. It is only a problem if you try to use two IP's from the same network.

I'm not sure I understand. If it is two separate storages, won't proxmox think it's not the same underlying shared storage?

I'm not sure I understand. If it is two separate storages, won't proxmox think it's not the same underlying shared storage?
If you configure two storage nodes in proxmox pointing at different IP how should proxmox not think that this is two separate storage nodes?

We're not communicating clearly, sorry :( I don't want two different storage nodes, I want one storage node accessed by two different IP addresses, so that I can migrate guests from one node to the other and back, even though one node has a slower connection to the SAN appliance.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!