Two issues on Notify Sender action

jmjosebest

Renowned Member
Jan 16, 2009
Hello,

we detected two issues on the Notify action

1- If the destinator (EMAIL-1) has a forwarder created to forward all emails to other email account (EMAIL-2), the notify alert consider the EMAIL-2 as a "Receiver". This is a big problem, because we're notifing the spammer about the EMAIL-2 instead of the EMAIL-1 that is the email account that the spammer know. So we're giving to the spammer a new e-mail box to spam, and in case of legit senders, the EMAIL-2 dont appears in their database. It's a big privacy issue.

2- If the destinator has a auto-responder, the Notify Sender action enters in a bucle because every auto-responder mail is also detected as SPAM. It's a simple way to "destroy" our Proxmox Mail Gateway.

I would never send notification to a spammer, this is totally useless and you also inform them that you receive their messages.

But I do not see why all this should "destroy" anything.

Maybe is not a spammer and it's a legit user that need to improve how they send emails and it's a good idea to give them the reason why spamassassin has blocked their outgoing mail. For example cPanel do that and we're using since long time ago, but the report is sent to the real sender, and in case of forwards the email is just not sent without any kind of alert.

As you can attach the original e-mail, I think should be simple to extract the real sender just looking the FROM value.

Destroy because it generates a unlimited loop every minute, check it this image, at this point will be good some option to restrict the 1 notification to the same sender every xx minutes.

1517581655.png

Maybe is not a spammer and it's a legit user that need to improve how they send emails and it's a good idea to give them the reason why spamassassin has blocked their outgoing mail. For example cPanel do that and we're using since long time ago, but the report is sent to the real sender, and in case of forwards the email is just not sent without any kind of alert.

As you can attach the original e-mail, I think should be simple to extract the real sender just looking the FROM value.

Destroy because it generates a unlimited loop every minute, check it this image, at this point will be good some option to restrict the 1 notification to the same sender every xx minutes.

I am Sorry, I do not get your point. And you do not have to attach the original email in the "Sender Notification Object".

IMHO, when you develop a software and you sell it, you need to see the point of view of your customers and not only your own point of view.

If I decide to use your software, it will be because it meets my requirements, not because it meets your requirements.

My intention is to provide feedback on a product that I have purchased with the only intention to improve. You seem to have understood it as an attack. You can do what you want in the end, it's your software.

PS- I'm not attaching the original mail on the sender notify.

Last edited:
IMHO, when you develop a software and you sell it, you need to see the point of view of your customers and not only your own point of view..

We do not sell any software license, why do you think so?

And I try do understand your case, but I am sorry, I do not get the point. So please try to explain it in a ways that I can understand it.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!