Tuxis launches free Proxmox Backup Server BETA service

Dropping it here:
The free 150 Gbyte account can be ordered again.
If you want to test it or just don't need much storage you can use it. No other limitations than the 150 Gbyte.

Very much appreciate this and thank you, most generous. Got my account setup several months ago and use it to back up the complicated container setup my home media server has, a relief to know i have a history if I screw things up on it :)

One question - is it bandwidth limited? I only get about 700KBps upload, not complaining, just checking whether the constraint is my end (Brisbane, Australia) or server side.

Australian internet is notoriously crappy.

Dropping it here:
If you want to test it or just don't need much storage you can use it. No other limitations than the 150 Gbyte.
Thanks a lot for pointing that out, I just created a profile, waiting for the reply.

hello, just got reminded that this service exists, and i wonder how this service can provide reliable backup solution, if VMs may get stuck/inaccessible because of backup-server slowness or connection freeze.

if this "design issue" even can be a problem in a lan scenario, i wonder how this can work good via internet and many hops in between !?

https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/show_bug.cgi?id=3631

Last edited:
I use it for manual offsite backups. So my local 10 Gbit connected PBS for daily backups and because I only git 40Mbit upload I use tuxis from time to time as an additional datastore so I got backups of my most important machines if something happens here and I would loose my PVE and PBS which are in the same rack.

Very much appreciate this and thank you, most generous. Got my account setup several months ago and use it to back up the complicated container setup my home media server has, a relief to know i have a history if I screw things up on it :)

One question - is it bandwidth limited? I only get about 700KBps upload, not complaining, just checking whether the constraint is my end (Brisbane, Australia) or server side.

Australian internet is notoriously crappy.
Slow response, sorry.

No, we do not have any bandwidth limitation. We currently have two PBS'es running, at peaks they handle 1.6 and 2.6 Gbit/s respectively.

As far as we're concerned, the limit should be between 1 and 10Gbit/s. Feel free to DM me your source IP so we can see if anything can be improved, routing-wise.

Reactions: fabian and Dunuin
hello, just got reminded that this service exists, and i wonder how this service can provide reliable backup solution, if VMs may get stuck/inaccessible because of backup-server slowness or connection freeze.

if this "design issue" even can be a problem in a lan scenario, i wonder how this can work good via internet and many hops in between !?

https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/show_bug.cgi?id=3631

If the stats in the task-summaries are correct, we've handled about 43500 backups in the last 30 days. We haven't had any complaints about crashed VM's in the last month.

So yes, the issue exists (we've even hit it at one time with a big cluster of 12 nodes, all simultaniously starting backups) but it's not very present in real life, in our setup at least.

Just wanted to mention that you can use Tuxis as a "remote sync" for your local backup server. This is the way we have it setup, and it works like a charm. Our local PBS does the actual backup and then the backups are synced every hour to Tuxis server. This way normal backup/restore is top speed, and we still have offsite backups in case of a disaster.

SInce a few days, sync from the Tuxis-PBS (2.0-12) to my local PBS (2.0-14) stopped working with these error messages: sync group ct/100 failed - missing field `protected`. Everything else appears to work fine. Is there a know incompatibility between those versions?

SInce a few days, sync from the Tuxis-PBS (2.0-12) to my local PBS (2.0-14) stopped working with these error messages: sync group ct/100 failed - missing field `protected`. Everything else appears to work fine. Is there a know incompatibility between those versions?
I noticed that too, i was unable to enable the Protected mode on a backup on PBS002.tuxis.nl but it worked fine on my PBS-LAB machine.
Guess we just have to wait for 2.0-14 to drop into the Enterprise repo.

Reactions: leesteken
Upgrading the local PBS to 2.1 fixed the issue today.

I looks like pbs001.tuxis.nl changed its fingerprint. Should I be worried? Everything looks normal when I remove the fingerprint in my end of the configuration.
The dashboard gives me a Forbidden 403, so I cannot click the Show Fingerprint button.

EDIT: Sync jobs don't seem to care about fingerprints, just Proxmox VE when accessing the Storage for graphs and content.

Last edited:
I looks like pbs001.tuxis.nl changed its fingerprint. Should I be worried? Everything looks normal when I remove the fingerprint in my end of the configuration.
The dashboard gives me a Forbidden 403, so I cannot click the Show Fingerprint button.

EDIT: Sync jobs don't seem to care about fingerprints, just Proxmox VE when accessing the Storage for graphs and content.
I changed the certificate yesterday because it was about to expire, this changes the fingerprint.
You can remove the fingerprint from /etc/pve/storage.cfg as it is only required for self-signed certificates.

Can only order a paid version if I'm a company? Seems a bit weird... what is the reason?
Sorry about that. The reason is that we have to calculate the percentage VAT that is used in the country of the buyer and than we have to submit those taxes in that specific country. We are simply not equipped to do that since we do B2B.
But if you post here in what country you are in, there might be an ICT company in your country that can supply it via us.

Sorry about that. The reason is that we have to calculate the percentage VAT that is used in the country of the buyer and than we have to submit those taxes in that specific country. We are simply not equipped to do that since we do B2B.
But if you post here in what country you are in, there might be an ICT company in your country that can supply it via us.
Hey there, no worries at all. I'm in the UK.

Last edited:
Reactions: tuxis

Is there any restriction on the type of business structure? Are you able to process sole traders directly?

Dropping it here:

I want to thank you for this free service, the size of my datastore (a small homelab) with everything backed up is around 60GB, so 150GB is perfect for me.

I subscribed this afternoon, can't wait to test it. Is there some guide to read on how to configure my local PBS to "push" backups to your PBS? Or maybe a best practice doc on the different kind of scenarios/configs?

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
Last week we could not supply new free accounts on our Proxmox Backup Service.
That is solved with this beast :)

This one has 36 slots that we fill with 16TB disks and that would supply 576TB storage in 4HE. All for Proxmox Backup Server. So if you want to use it, test it or simply have your entire cluster back-upped, you can get your account again
Keep in mind that if you want more than the free 150 Gbyte, you need to have a business. We can only invoice to businesses.

New-DPS-Storage.jpg

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!