Tutorial for more Backupspeed and what to check and Fix

vikozo

Renowned Member
May 4, 2014
suisse
www.wombat.ch
hello

I would like a Tutorial on how to speed up the initial Backup between Nodes & VM to BPS.

vm with 500G Disk over 1h 50 still not finish 11%
vm with 750G Disk over 2h 30 still not finish 8%

have a nice day
Mercy
vinc

=============
Proxmox Backup Server 0.8.6 Beta
running as vPBS with 2vCPU (sockets) | 4GiB vRAM | 25G & 500G vDisk
installed with ISO file BETA-1.iso

The initial backup needs to move all data (at least, if not repeated in the backup itself), so it's only limited by your source read speed, the network in-between and the target write speed.
Improve those and the initial backup will also be faster :)

running as vPBS with 2vCPU (sockets) |

Did you set the CPU type to host? As else it may not know about some HW acceleration extensions.

What storage does the backup server and the VMs, respectively, use?

@t.lamprecht Merci
CPU type to host, yes now!

VM and the vPBS are on the same Hardware now, but will be moving this vPBS to another Hardware.

have a nice day
vinc

=============
Proxmox Backup Server 0.8-9 Beta
running as vPBS with 2vCPU (sockets) set to Host | 4GiB vRAM |
Installation 15G &
Datas : 500G vDisk & 750G with WriteBack vDisk

installed with ISO file BETA-1.iso

Hi @vikozo

the datastore/BPS and the nodes backup network are the same? or they are in different VLAN/Network? It may create a bottle neck in the network layer.

in my case I have similar architecture and I dont have that problem.

Did you tried to use iperf to check basic network bandwidth? if network between proxmox node and vPBS is good, then it would be good to check the write speed in the datastore.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!