Trying to understand LVM models in 4.2

luison

Renowned Member
Feb 22, 2010
Spain
alsur.es
We are currently migrating one server to 4.2 and LXC and after looking at various threads I still don't have 100% clear what the new use of LVM-thin involves as far as previous storage model.

We mainly use containers with many bind mounts we've now migrated to LXC contents. We maintain LVM /pve/data mounted on /var/lib/vz where images remain as well as various other LVM LV for cache, temps, etc

By what I read I understand that PVE is pushing towards using LVM-thin for container storage which I understand means creating a thin LV dedicated for each container. I understand that this is due to snapshots working better and optimizing size used by the container disks.

My doubts are:

- can we stick for now with and "old" directory model (/pve/data/) as a storage for the containers?
- I am wrong in thinking that snapshots would still work even if slower or do live snapshots now "only" work if container is on an thin LV.
- is this any different on LXC and KVMs?
- does the thin LV "have to" exist within PVE group?

Many thanks.

- can we stick for now with and "old" directory model (/pve/data/) as a storage for the containers?
- I am wrong in thinking that snapshots would still work even if slower or do live snapshots now "only" work if container is on an thin LV.

snapshots only work on lvm-thin

- is this any different on LXC and KVMs?

no

- does the thin LV "have to" exist within PVE group?

no

Thanks.

Now to understand ho to archive the "new" default storage on an upgraded install...

I converted /pve/data like this:

lvconvert --type thin-pool pve/data

- Any issues in maintaining that mounted on /var/lib/vz while also using it for new LVM thin container storage?
- Should it or would it be better to have a different VG for this?
- To restore "old" layout containers to lvm-thin I understand I'll need to use the "-storage" flag pointing to the new named storage, can I make this become the "default" which I understand is normally "local"?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!