Trying to mount an NFS share with username/password

NewDude

Feb 24, 2018
I'm missing something really simple here.

I've got a network share that's password protected. In /etc/pve/storage.cfg I changed the options line to state:

Code:
     options  vers=3,username=myusername,password=mypassword

(not my real username/password, of course.)

When the backup task tries to trigger (that's all I'm using this mount for) I get this error:

TASK ERROR: could not get storage information for 'backups': mount error: mount.nfs: an incorrect mount option was specified

I replaced "username=" with "user=" and got the identical error, so I'm specifying the option wrong. man pages for mount and nfs didn't shed much light on this.

What am I doing wrong?

OK, let's try this a different way:

Has anyone successfully mounted an NFS share that required a username/password?

nfs version 3 does not have user/password authentication, AFAIK this only works with nfs 4 and kerberos and even then you do not specify the user and password via the mounting
but this happens via a kerberos ticket

Reactions: DerDanilo
Thanks, Dominik. I tried it as v4 but that wasn't the cure, so I'll look into another form of sharing.

Thanks, folks. I've always done it on an IP basis in the past, but I'm using an existing QNAP machine now and the ip address permission system was really hard to find. Once I located that backups started to run.

Thanks for all your help. :)

Last edited:
For folks that have OVH this is proving to be difficult.
I have been searching for a how-to now for some time.

In short- We DO NOT HAVE THE OPTION when using their NFS/CIFS systems for shared storage NOT to use a user/pass

Thoughts? Workarounds?

In short- We DO NOT HAVE THE OPTION when using their NFS/CIFS systems for shared storage NOT to use a user/pass

Thoughts? Workarounds?
cifs supports username/password see the docs
nfs does not, and has never supported user/pass authentication, this was always implemented via kerberos

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!