Trying to install Proxmox on a Mac Mini

Aug 6, 2019
I've installed Proxmox many times on various bits of hardware without a problem. I came in to possession of two old i7 Mac Minis and thought I'd try out Proxmox on them. The Proxmox installer didn't work so I went with the install Debian then Proxmox approach following the instructions here

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_11_Bullseye

But this keeps happening - apt downloads all the packages and starts the install like this

Code:
Fetched 472 MB in 30s (16.0 MB/s)
Extracting templates from packages: 100%
Preconfiguring packages ...
(Reading database ... 29463 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing firmware-linux-free (20200122-1) ...
dpkg: warning: while removing firmware-linux-free, directory '/lib/firmware' not empty so not removed
Removing ifupdown (0.8.36) ...

At which point the machine loses its network connection. The first couple of attempts I was ssh'ing in to the machine so I got booted off. The last two attempts have been at the machine. At the machine I can see the install finish but the network connection isn't restored. Restarting the machine also doesn't restore/restart the network.

/etc/network/interfaces hasn't changed from the installed version

I assume I'm missing a step rather than this being a fundamental problem with Bullseye that no-one has noticed but after 10 attempts with exactly the same result and no progress I thought it was time to post in here so someone more knowledgeable can point me to the bit I'm missing.

Thanks

Steve

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!