Trying to install proxmox, fails every time.

Utking

Dec 22, 2016
Hi guys!

I'm trying to install proxmox on one of my nodes, but it keeps failing the install!

The error i'm getting is unable to install the i386-pc boot loader on '/dev/sda'

when i check out the details it says something about attempting to install grub to a disk with multiple partition labels, do i need to completely wipe the disk first? i thought proxmox took care of this.

I've also tried with 4 different disks without luck, some of them aren't seen by proxmox at all, but they work fine in windows.

This is on a C6100 node with two l5520 cpu's and 48gb of ram.

If anyone would be able to help i would be very glad!!!

Thanks all!

Last edited:
Do you have more than one disk, and install on a single disk (ext4 setup)? If so, try to wipe the other disks first (or remove them).

Do you have more than one disk, and install on a single disk (ext4 setup)? If so, try to wipe the other disks first (or remove them).
I've tried both actually, i've tried different HDD's as well, 320gb, 1tb, 3tb etc. I've alo tried 3 different USB sticks, and a lot of different writers, including the one from SUSE.

I just can't understand why i'm unable to install it, when xenserver, windows server, and all the other software solutions installed straight away :S

Is /dev/sda a 4kn drive by any chance?

I'm not quite sure, how do i check that?

Anyways i got it to install on both my nodes, seems like it's picky on what sata port the install disk is on.
Also why does proxmox makes my usb pen non bootable after an installation? i had to rewrite the image every time it failed. Either than that it's working now!

Was struggling a bit to install glusterfs on the nodes, but seems like the source for proxmox was missing from the source.list, isn't it supposed to be there?

Other than that it seems to work great, and thanks for the answers guys! :)

Last edited:
4kn = 4k native sector size, typically on higher end datacenter drives. Can't boot from those right now, but I don't think it applies in your case.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!