Trying to configure additional NIC

kokoticek

Jun 7, 2010
Using Proxmox VE 4.4, already read https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Network_Configuration
Host is a server desktop with 2 onboard NICs, but ever since installation I have just used one just as normal, for host itself and all VMs (thus using Proxmox's default netowrk config just like article).

But now I'm required to install a VM in the same host but in another apart network, without both networks to be able to communicate, so I'm guessing I'll need to use the other NIC now.
"ip link show" does show all interfaces, including lo, both eths and the "virtual" tap ones from running VMs, but aside of this I'm really lost about how to proceed at all. I don't think it'll be a matter of magically just plugging 2nd NIC to the other network even if there's dhcp here...

Could anyone help?

Oh, and curious about another thing, from the article, why is it that vmbr (the bridge virtual switch) is the one having the TCP/IP config instead of the real physical eth? What does "bridge_ports" actually mean?

Thanks beforehand for help.

Go to the Network configuration of your Proxmox node, you should start with setting both eth's to autostart. Then you can create a new Linux Bridge (vmbr1) and bridge it to the new eth port you want to use. Then you assign the new vmbr1 to your new VM.

You use the bridge to make a virtual switch that every VM/CT is connected to. I think you're not able to connect a VM/CT directly to an eth interface, but I could be wrong. and even if you could, you would only be able to use it for one VM/CT. You would use an IP directly on eth if you wanted to do a routing configuration, just like the Wiki article explains.

bridge_ports simply means that you add one (or more) interfaces to a bridge. You can look at this article from the Debian wiki for more explanation, https://wiki.debian.org/BridgeNetworkConnections.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!