Try to understand Proxmox Firewall and IP per MAC

FcbInfo

Renowned Member
Dec 21, 2012
Hi there,

I'm very confused about the new proxmox firewall.
I tried to read something about this, but didn't help.

When you enable firewall for cluster, have you enabled firewall for all virtual machines inside of it?
May I have firewall enabled for 1 VM but not for other VMs?

I tried to apply some rules in one of my VMs, but it shows to don't work. I tried to closed port 22 for VM XXX, but the port 22 still open.

Another question is...
Is possible with this new firewall, prevent IP stealing by MAC? If some user try to add an IP to a VM, works only if an administrator permit this IP to be used by this VM MAC address.

Hi there,

I'm very confused about the new proxmox firewall.
I tried to read something about this, but didn't help.

When you enable firewall for cluster, have you enabled firewall for all virtual machines inside of it?
May I have firewall enabled for 1 VM but not for other VMs?

I tried to apply some rules in one of my VMs, but it shows to don't work. I tried to closed port 22 for VM XXX, but the port 22 still open.

Another question is...
Is possible with this new firewall, prevent IP stealing by MAC? If some user try to add an IP to a VM, works only if an administrator permit this IP to be used by this VM MAC address.

If you have direct access to your cluster and VM's why not just disable root login on each VM?? Proxmox firewall is pretty tricky to figure out especially if your using more than one IP. However it is definitely possible... Have you activated firewall on the VNIC? After i did that the first time all VM's where automatically dropping everything, and i had to set all the appropriate allow rules.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!