Troubleshooting bizarre 'wrong console' issue

darkpixel

Renowned Member
Oct 26, 2010
I've run into a strange issue using Proxmox 2.x where it displays the wrong VNC console.

root@kvm1:~# pveversion
pve-manager/2.1/f32f3f46
root@kvm1:~#

Two weeks ago I had this problem and I figured I had just messed something up. I ended up stopping all my virtual machines and rebooting the physical hardware. It resurfaced today, and I'd like advice on how to help troubleshoot it when it happens again.

I have three proxmox machines in a cluster and here's the basic config:

KVM1 runs 5 virtual machines: support, windb7, mx1, windb, ltsp1
KVM2 runs 2 virtual machines: dc1, rds1
KVM3 runs 3 virtual machines: db1, jmf-rds1, vpn

All three machines are on the same network (10.47.0.1, 10.47.0.2, and 10.47.0.3)

Yesterday I created 'windb7' on KVM1 to test the upgrade path for a client application. Everything worked 'normally'. I set up Windows 7, and ran my tests. While I was testing, I pulled up the console for 'windb', signed in, and copied some data (from within the guest) to 'windb7'. At the end of the day, I locked my workstation with everything still working and left.

This morning I received a frantic call that 'windb' was down. I connected in remotely and found my browser session had timed out and I had to re-login. I did, then I right-clicked 'windb' and opened the console. I was greeted with the console for 'rds1' which is on KVM2. So I brought up the console for 'rds1' and I got a blank screen. I'm assuming it pulled up 'windb' which was crashed.

I brought up a few other consoles and found most of them were pointing to completely different virtual machines. 'db1' was greeted me with the 'mx1' login prompt.

I opened up all the consoles and shutdown the guests. I dug through syslog on KVM1, 2, and 3 and found nothing to indicate an error. I looked through dmesg and didn't see any issues with the iscsi connections to the NAS boxes.

Any pointers on where I should look or what I should gather next time this happens?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!