Troubles with Console/VNC

pcmanning

Renowned Member
Feb 19, 2010
Having decided to risk running with the PVETEST repo, I've run into some issues...

1) The console appears to be broken, giving this error:

TASK ERROR: command '/bin/nc -l -p 5900 -w 10 -c '/usr/bin/ssh -T -o BatchMode=yes -c blowfish-cbc 192.168.1.53 /usr/sbin/qm vncproxy 103 2>/dev/null'' failed: exit code 2

I'm running Windows 7, the latest Java, and have tried the current Chrome and Firefox browsers. IE9 won't show any of the proxmox site :( Local windows firewall is disabled for the moment.

2) Can get an insecure VNC connection with TigerVNC (1.2) and iSSH on the iPad (additional args in the VMID.conf file, set_password vnc set in monitor)

3) Have had a secure VNC connection working using openbsd-inet and these lines....

#:VNC
59055 stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/qm qm vncproxy 101
59056 stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/qm qm vncproxy 102

But this seems now broken -TigerVNC gives this error: "reading version failed: not an RFB server"

Any thoughts appreciated
cheers
Paul

OK - having the extra args line in the VMID.conf file was stopping the Web Console running - which I guess is something that's changed between 2.1 and 2.1? It also stopped tigerVNC running against the OpenBsd-inet setup.

So, I have to choose between having args in and allowing more VNC clients to run (non TLS) or deleting the args and having to find a good VNC/TLS client? Or isthere somewhere to turn TLS off????

cheers
Paul

Having decided to risk running with the PVETEST repo, I've run into some issues...

1) The console appears to be broken, giving this error:

I'm running Windows 7, the latest Java, and have tried the current Chrome and Firefox browsers. IE9 won't show any of the proxmox site :( Local windows firewall is disabled for the moment.

2) Can get an insecure VNC connection with TigerVNC (1.2) and iSSH on the iPad (additional args in the VMID.conf file, set_password vnc set in monitor)

3) Have had a secure VNC connection working using openbsd-inet and these lines....

But this seems now broken -TigerVNC gives this error: "reading version failed: not an RFB server"

Any thoughts appreciated
cheers
Paul

OK - having the extra args line in the VMID.conf file was stopping the Web Console running - which I guess is something that's changed between 2.1 and 2.1?

Either you post those args, or we all continue to 'guess'.

Args as per Proxmox wiki - http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Vnc_2.0 for IOS, Android and older clients.

Now have installed the older version of tigerVNC (1.1) and it seems rather slicker all round than the 1.2 version. ALT-CRTL-DEL works at least - so can now configure VM for RDP and all is well! But the "args" setup should perhaps be fixed or at least pointed out on the wiki that it's no longer supported?

cheers
Paul

Either you post those args, or we all continue to 'guess'.

if you find an issue with the wiki, pls add you comments and correct it - the wiki is open for everyone.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!