Transfer to second node - networking fails?

anthony

Jun 20, 2018
All, I had a node fail in our HA Cluster. When the VMs transferred over to another node the networking failed. after manually rebooting each vm the networking was up and operational. I am not using any advanced proxmox features like the firewall or anything. The bridges have the same ID and and all that. they were a mix of paravirtualized and e1000.

when logged into the vm the interface appears as up, however when trying to ping anything, I get 0 traffic. What could cause this? is there troubleshooting steps one may suggest?

Thanks!!

hi,

if you had a different network setup on the other node you transferred to, it is likely that your VM failed to assign an IP or it may be a routing problem.

check the network configuration inside the VM once again to make sure everything is correct. (IP, gateway, netmask, dns etc.)

is there troubleshooting steps one may suggest?

you can use tcpdump to watch the network packets and debug.

seem to be an arp problem.

with virtio-net interface, vm should send gratuitous arp after the live migration.
for e1000, I'm not sure about the behaviour.

Do you use bonding for your proxmox hosts ? if yes, which mode ?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!