Totally non-responsive machine, what to check?

Wobblycogs

Jun 22, 2023
For context, I'm new to running Proxmox but I've run run servers before - mostly badly, I'm trying to improve.

I sat down to learn a bit more about Proxmox today and found I couldn't get to the web interface so I tried SSH and that didn't work either. As I'm sitting next to the machine I connected a monitor and keyboard and, you guessed it, nothing. The keyboard is backlit and USB didn't even provide power for that.

Looking in /var/log I see syslog.2 is dated May 28 with syslog and syslog.1 being dated Jun 22 (today). I've looked through them and there's nothing to indicate what happened. The last entries in syslog.2 are some regular house keeping tasks. The first in syslog.1 are todays boot process.

I power cycled the machine this morning to get it back and it seems to be fine. It's like it just stopped with, as far as I can tell, nothing in the logs. Could it have gone into a low power state from which I couldn't wake it?

Any ideas of what to check will be gratefully received. FWIW, the machine is running just Proxmox at the moment. I was in the process of building and learning about running a ZFS array.

EDIT: Some additional evidence to maybe work with. I have the machine set to run a short SMART test every day. I have smart records showing tests every 24 hours and then a gap of about 500 hours where there's an entry for an extended test which is happening now. 500 hours is about 21 days which corresponds to the log record hole. It seems therefore the drives were getting enough power to believe they were on but nothing was triggering the SMART tests.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!