Today, the server doesn't boot

SergioRius

Mar 11, 2015
Just after the grub menu I get those lines:

Loading Linux 2.6.32-37-pve ...
error: attempt to read or write outside of disk 'hd0'.
Loading initial ramdisk ...
unaligned pointer 0xe1c5f707
Aborted. Press any key to exit.
And it freezes.

Nothing has been changed on the server on the past days, at software level or hardware. All the disks are new. The system is on a single SSD disk and raid is only for storage.

How this can be possible?
I was waiting to get this server inserted at a datacenter after I prepared it doing physical machines to virtual migrations for a company.
I can't imagine if I just placed the server online and all the company depended on it...

sorry but if you place one remote server on a single ssd and all the company depends on it... it is a bad choice. shit happens :)

anyway, have you tried booting from livecd, checking disks and maybe tried reinstalling grub to the hard drive?
is it possible that boot order changed so that (say) /dev/sda is no more the same disk and the boot partition is not found or aligned anymore?

if your remote server has a way to manage it even before boot, like IBM IMM or else, you could manage this even remotely...

Marco

sorry but if you place one remote server on a single ssd and all the company depends on it... it is a bad choice. shit happens :)

Thanks Marco. But the SSD it's mirrored to a conventional 1Tb backup disk that goes online for boot if required. (I'm not just born today ;))
Nothing changed from yesterday, it's also rainy.

Isn't there any solution for repairing this without doing a livecd boot? It's nothing else possible from grub console?

Also I couldn't setup anything so easy as openvpn on this system. I think if this is not solved by early week I'll completely drop it and go with another (more serious) solution.
Perhaps I sound a little rude, but I spent a month on trying to setup this system. Asked questions without receiving any usable reply.

I'm sorry but I'm not that expert... and this never happened to me, in 5 years through several versions...

A quick google search shows that something similar happened in the past on various linux systems... this seems not a pve specific problem, and I'm sure pve it's used in so many clusters worldwide that if this issue happened often to many users, you would get so many replies and solutions... I understand you are under pressure but try to be positive, if possible: understanding what is wrong and why, anything can be solved :)

Before move to another solution (which you could do anyway, but could have other drawbacks though), since you are so in a hurry, have you considered to open a (paid) ticket with proxmox support?
They are technically very good and could operate remotely (ssh) with your assistance...

you could try the to use the livecd option anyway just to diagnose what problem it is exactly.

Marco

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!