Tips for Setting Up a Home Server with Proxmox - Guidance on Motherboard, Processor, and SATA Connectivity

Ifrit_Prog

Aug 25, 2023
Italy
Dear forum members,

I'm in the process of finalizing the configuration for a new server intended for Proxmox use, and I'm seeking your valuable insights on some key decisions. Currently, I have 64GB of DDR4 RAM (8 sticks) and I'm on the lookout for a motherboard that can efficiently handle the entire memory capacity.

Specifically, I aim to ensure a substantial SATA connectivity, preferably with at least 12 connectors, to manage a considerable number of storage devices. I'm contemplating the option of a PCI expansion card to meet this requirement, but I would greatly appreciate your input and any recommendations on specific models.

Additionally, I have an i8700k and an i7700k processor at my disposal, but I'm uncertain about their suitability for this project. I welcome suggestions on more suitable processors or, if applicable, insights on how to maximize the use of the processors I already have.

I have a budget of 1500€ and would like to stay within this limit. I'm open to any critical feedback regarding the choices I'm considering. My primary goal is to create a robust and high-performance Proxmox server without exceeding the budget.

I thank you in advance for any contributions and shared experiences related to similar configurations.

Thank you very much!

My recommendation would be to start with the motherboard, and look for a server board if possible. SuperMicro and ASRock Rack are both highly reputable brands, Gigabyte does server boards too but I have no experience of them myself. Server grade motherboards are designed to run 24/7, typically have IPMI remote management (very practical), will generally have support for ECC RAM, and are designed to run headless so you don't need to waste PCIe lanes on a graphics card that you wouldn't use.

I don't know if any of these brands have server boards capable of taking i8700 or i7700 CPUs - you'd have to search around. Ditto your RAM.

As for SATA connectivity, for 12 drives you'll need a motherboard with build-in SAS controller alternatively find a second hand LSI card based on SAS2308 or SAS3008. You'll need SAS break-out cables or SAS expanders to connect up your drives to the controller, whether on motherboard or on separate PCIe card.

In case you want to use those disks with something like a TrueNAS VM you might also have a look at a motherboard with proper PCIe slots and well isolatd IOMMU groups so you could passthrough one or two HBAs. In addition to the already mentioned SAS2308 and SAS3008 there is also the older SAS2008 you could get second hand as cheap as 35€. Would allow you to connect 8 SATA HDDs (but performance wouldn't be great with SSDs for those better buy a SAS2308/SAS3008) per SAS2008 card which needs an electrical PCIe 2.0 8x slot.

In case you want to use those disks with something like a TrueNAS VM you might also have a look at a motherboard with proper PCIe slots and well isolatd IOMMU groups so you could passthrough one or two HBAs. In addition to the already mentioned SAS2308 and SAS3008 there is also the older SAS2008 you could get second hand as cheap as 35€. Would allow you to connect 8 SATA HDDs (but performance wouldn't be great with SSDs for those better buy a SAS2308/SAS3008) per SAS2008 card which needs an electrical PCIe 2.0 8x slot.
Hi, can you suggest a SAS or SATA controller from amazon to buy?
I'm building a proxmox server and I have 3x3.5" 1TB and 3x2.5"ssd 1TB
I would like to go with ZFS no-HW raid
Thank you

Last edited:
LSI 9300-8i (based on SAS3008) are popular in the TrueNAS community. You could buy new or cheap second hand on eBay. Make sure it has the most recent "IT" firmware, tools are available on the Broadcom website.

Hi Ifrit,

I'd second rungekutta and Dunuin for starting with the motherboard that has the options you need, and for that let your needs not be steered by what you already have.

64 GB is a nice amount of RAM, but as far as I can tell, prices of DDR4 are not too high and 8 GB sticks are on the small side as far as available options in DDR4 go. Second hand ECC DDR4 is found for less than 1 Euro per gigabyte on the second hand market, even in my corner of Europe.

With 1500 Euro's I'd say you have a serious budget, when taking some time to look for second hand parts/servers.

You mention 'preferrably 12 SATA'. With such a number, you might prefer SAS. Do you intend to run many or large storage devices? Or both?

I think the elephant in the room is: what do you intend to use the machine for?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!