[TUTORIAL] Tip for unzipping .ova files in Proxmox

Y0nderBoi

Sep 23, 2019
Hello all,

Not sure if this is allowed or not. If not, mods feel free to nuke this. If it is allowed I am hoping that I can save some poor sap like me a few minutes (hours) of trying to figure out why I could not get my .ova file to be unzipped.

Here are some of the guides I used to get a general feel for the process:
Guide 1
Guide 2
Guide 3

All of the guides had me stuck on unzipping the file.

For context, I am attempting to install the GNS3 VM via a .ova file on my Proxmox server. I had found a number of guides going over uploading it. I used scp to dump it to the /var/lib/vz/iso directory, but you could use whatever you prefer.

Once it was uploaded I could not for the life of me get tar to unzip my .ova. The solution I found that works is run the following:
tar xvf 'GNS3 VM.ova' for whatever reason anytime I tried added other parameters to the tar command it would not work. I am sure this will also work with other .ova files just replace it with the name of your .ova like so:
tar xvf 'NAME_OF_YOUR_OVA.ova'

From there the .ova file was broken up into the appropriate files and I was able to finish the import without issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: proxox
Is this a question / ask for help or do you want to share your experience (which is appreciated)? I'm a little unsure...

In the second case please consider to mark your thread as "tutorial" by editing the first post and select that option from the dropdown list nearby the title ;)

Is this a question / ask for help or do you want to share your experience (which is appreciated)? I'm a little unsure...

In the second case please consider to mark your thread as "tutorial" by editing the first post and select that option from the dropdown list nearby the title ;)
Added the the tag. Thanks for the heads up!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!