times for backup

ciro

Oct 29, 2019
Good morning
I perform a daily backup with proxmox 6.4-6 on a nas in nfs, my vm runs on SAN FC; this morning I found that the backup times had an increase of about 15 minutes, normally I was able to do my backup about 1 hour but this morning it cost me about 15/20 minutes more:
earlier times:
INFO: backup is sparse: 1.13 GiB (0%) total zero data
INFO: transferred 200.00 GiB in 3066 seconds (66.8 MiB/s)
INFO: archive file size: 38.98GB
current times:
NFO: backup is sparse: 1.14 GiB (0%) total zero data
INFO: transferred 200.00 GiB in 2987 seconds (68.6 MiB/s)
INFO: archive file size: 39.07GB
The archive doesn't seem to have grown to justify 15 minutes of delay and it's the first time I've noticed this; therefore I was wondering what reason this can cause me and if there is an anomaly

Attachments

• Istantanea_2023-02-15_11-24-30.png
    Istantanea_2023-02-15_11-24-30.png
    87.8 KB · Views: 3
  • vzdump-qemu-100-2023_02_14-04_45_02.log
    11.2 KB · Views: 3
  • vzdump-qemu-100-2023_02_15-04_45_02.log
    11.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Hi,

I would check if you have a monitor at the backup time if there was a performance issue in the network or the NAS storage.

this seems to be the difference:

2023-02-14 04:45:03 INFO: issuing guest-agent 'fs-freeze' command
2023-02-14 04:50:39 INFO: issuing guest-agent 'fs-thaw' command
vs
2023-02-15 04:45:03 INFO: issuing guest-agent 'fs-freeze' command
2023-02-15 05:11:15 INFO: issuing guest-agent 'fs-thaw' command

the fs-freeze alone takes ~21 minutes longer

Reactions: Moayad
Hi,

I would check if you have a monitor at the backup time if there was a performance issue in the network or the NAS storage.
Hi, I investigated a bit about it but I couldn't figure out if tonight at the time of the backup there were anomalies on the NAS or on the network, currently everything seems to work correctly. If the attached logs reveal no other reason I will wait for the next backup thanks
PS
We have already subscribed to a commercial support see Terminal FlavioGioia spa
Hi,

that depends on how your guest is configured, but normally fsfreeze will try freeze the filesystems in the vm so that the disk content is consistent, what it does exactly depends on the guest operating systems
(e.g i think it enables vss in windows and uses the FIFREEZE ioctl() on linux)

that depends on how your guest is configured, but normally fsfreeze will try freeze the filesystems in the vm so that the disk content is consistent, what it does exactly depends on the guest operating systems
(e.g i think it enables vss in windows and uses the FIFREEZE ioctl() on linux)
He practically kept it frozen for 20 minutes against 5 minutes the previous day and no one knows why, the vm
it's a linux machine. I'll see what happens tomorrow. Thank you

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!