Time

ttist25

May 17, 2012
Hello there,

First of all - ProxMox rules!!! I'm a huge proponent.

I have ProxMox 2.1-1/f9b0f63a installed on two different physical servers. My production server is a Dell PowerEdge R520 and my test environment is a Dell PowerEdge T110II.

I have a fully virtualized environment with a Windows Server 2008 R2 Active Directory Domain controller VM from which my Windows 7 Pro VM's are getting time.

The time as displayed in the "Server time" field on the "Time" tab of the ProxMox user interface is correct on both the R520 and the T110II.

The "Use local time for RTC" option in the "Options" tab for the DC VM is set to "No" and the "RTC start date" option is set to "now".

On the R520, the time is off on the DC by 7 hours (behind 7 hours). On the T110 the DC VM time is correct.

I'm assuming this has something to do with a difference in the hardware clocks of the servers but I'm not sure. Does anyone have any ideas how I might fix this? My end users are starting to complain about the time being off.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Hello there,

First of all - ProxMox rules!!! I'm a huge proponent.

I have ProxMox 2.1-1/f9b0f63a installed on two different physical servers. My production server is a Dell PowerEdge R520 and my test environment is a Dell PowerEdge T110II.

I have a fully virtualized environment with a Windows Server 2008 R2 Active Directory Domain controller VM from which my Windows 7 Pro VM's are getting time.

The time as displayed in the "Server time" field on the "Time" tab of the ProxMox user interface is correct on both the R520 and the T110II.

The "Use local time for RTC" option in the "Options" tab for the DC VM is set to "No" and the "RTC start date" option is set to "now".

On the R520, the time is off on the DC by 7 hours (behind 7 hours). On the T110 the DC VM time is correct.

I'm assuming this has something to do with a difference in the hardware clocks of the servers but I'm not sure. Does anyone have any ideas how I might fix this? My end users are starting to complain about the time being off.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!
Hi,
do you have on both servers the right time-zone?
Code:
dpkg-reconfigure tzdata
What is the output of "hwclock" on both nodes?

Udo

Hi,
do you have on both servers the right time-zone?
Code:
dpkg-reconfigure tzdata
What is the output of "hwclock" on both nodes?

Udo

Hi Udo. Thanks for your response!

I ran both commands. dpkg-reconfigure tzdata shows the same for both nodes (American) but the output of hwclock is different. The production server is 5 hours ahead of the test server (09:39 PM EST on the production server vs 04:39 PM EST. This seems VERY confusing! :)

I hope that gives you some clues. I'm even more baffled than I was, although I've got two new linux commands in my bag - thanks for that!

Hi Udo. Thanks for your response!

I ran both commands. dpkg-reconfigure tzdata shows the same for both nodes (American) but the output of hwclock is different. The production server is 5 hours ahead of the test server (09:39 PM EST on the production server vs 04:39 PM EST. This seems VERY confusing! :)

I hope that gives you some clues. I'm even more baffled than I was, although I've got two new linux commands in my bag - thanks for that!
Hi,
if the hwclock is different (but your time is ok) than set the hwclock to the same as the system:
Code:
hwclock --systohc
Udo

Hi,
if the hwclock is different (but your time is ok) than set the hwclock to the same as the system:
Code:
hwclock --systohc
Udo

Ok - so set hwclock to the time shown in the "Server time" field of the "Time" tab in the ProxMox GUI? Is this something I can do while users are connected or do you think it could cause issues with access to domain resources because of the time change? For instance should I do this late at night when my users are sleeping and log them off and back on or, is this something I could issue right now and all my domain clients will catch up? (Sorry - I know that's a bit off topic but it's still related).

Danke nochmal!

Ok - so set hwclock to the time shown in the "Server time" field of the "Time" tab in the ProxMox GUI? Is this something I can do while users are connected or do you think it could cause issues with access to domain resources because of the time change? For instance should I do this late at night when my users are sleeping and log them off and back on or, is this something I could issue right now and all my domain clients will catch up? (Sorry - I know that's a bit off topic but it's still related).

Danke nochmal!
Hi,
right - the server time will set to the hwclock (with the right timezone).
If anybody get trouble with the time jump? Normaly not - depends on your VMs.
Logoff and on is not nessesary - simply set the hwclock. But perhaps you need an restart (stop/start) of your VM to use the new time?!

Udo

I`m not using server time as base time. HN time is set to use UTC time. For KVM windows server (2008) i had added one task scheduler witch start windows time service (w32time) and try to synchronize time with time servers (w32tm /resync) (windows 2003 sufficient to set windows time service to run). I attached my scheduler. Before use try to test it. Start w32time service and try to synchronize time in cmd : w32tm.exe /resync If you get bad luck try to set time server.

View attachment WindowsTime.xml.txt

I`m not using server time as base time. HN time is set to use UTC time. For KVM windows server (2008) i had added one task scheduler witch start windows time service (w32time) and try to synchronize time with time servers (w32tm /resync) (windows 2003 sufficient to set windows time service to run). I attached my scheduler. Before use try to test it. Start w32time service and try to synchronize time in cmd : w32tm.exe /resync If you get bad luck try to set time server.

View attachment 1187
Hi,
normaly its makes no sense to run an ntpd inside an VM. Use the correct time at the host and all the VMs have the right time.

Udo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!