Throttle Verification job on PBS - How to ?

Jan 16, 2022
During Verification job , PVE host have hard time accessing the Datastore of a PBS server. as the pbs take all available i/o.

in case a customer want to restore a VM we would to probably mannualy kill the verification job per our observation when
having hardtime to only connect to see backups folder is returning timeout.. !

And an option that priorizes backups/restores over maintaince tasks would be nice too. I guess it would't be that hard to implement a check in the GC and verify processes that checks every minute if a backup/restore task is running and if such a task exists, then pause the GC/verify process until the backup/restore task has finished.

It really depends on the hardware PBS is running on. I recently repurposed an old Dell Data Protect 4400 server to run PBS. It handles several verification jobs at the same time without too much of an issue despite all running 12gig 12TB spinning rust SAS drives on hardware RAID6 controller. It is recommended that PBS have access to nvme or SSD for storage.

If that is not possible maybe build another PBS and sync the backups to that PBS server so you can do restores if necessary? I have two PBS servers for redundancy and disaster recovery purposes.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!