Threadripper/Epic performance

Rares

Feb 28, 2017
Hi all,

Has anyone experience with the new AMD CPUs with a lot of cores?

I see a lot of fuss on the Internet, the price looks very attractive so I'm curious, are these CPUs a very cost effective way of creating compute nodes? Does it have enough PCIe lanes for Nvme + Ethernet? Or it would be just a CPU+a lot of RAM+100Gb Ethernet that would access a Ceph storage?

Waiting for your input, thank you,
Rares

Hi,

I'm using AMD Epyc 3000 Embedded (4c/8t) platform to run Proxmox and it's working like a charm.
I don't have excessive worload but I run ~10 containers with DNS/DHCP/Web server on it. I use a SSD and a single HDD for now.

I just ordered two new server with 8c/16t from supermicro (AS-5019D-FTN4) with 512GB nvme M.2, 4TB HDD drive and 64G of RAM. There's 4x1 Gbits interfaces that will allow me to link an iSCSI drive with multipath behind if required for backup/mirroring. The server can handle a full x16 PCIe interface, allowing me to put a 100GB interface if required.

I've hesitate to buy a Single big Epyc 7xx2 serie server, but finally opted for two small server to have redundancy (clustering analysis in progress). But if you have big workload, better to skip the embedded (tough I think they can handle consequent loads IMO).
Epyc works really great. There's full of IO, and the price is really attractive. For my use, those Embedded servers are already overkill. But they consume nothing and are really efficient for what I do.

Note, Proxmox worked out of the box without issue.

Cheers
Jim1926

I have just installed a new 3 node cluster containing servers with 2 x AMD EPYC 7542 32-Core Processors and 1.5TB of memory . Its been into production a few weeks now and so far its performing very well. With "logical processor" enabled we have 128 cores per host. They have 4 x 25G per host and we use CEPH and ISCSI for storage. Let me know if you have any questions.

2020-02-12 11_25_31-plapro03 - Proxmox Virtual Environment.png

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!