Thinpool usage VS actual disk usage inside VM

tchjntr

Oct 1, 2024
Hi there, I'm new to the Proxmox forums.

First of all, thanks for developing Proxmox and let us experiment with this incredible piece of software. I am still in the "trial and error" phase but I am enjoying every second of it. I have searched the forums but maybe I was not using the correct keywords so I am posting this new thread.

I have a Debian 12 VM set up with two disks:

Disk 1: 32GB for the root filesystem created in "local-lvm" storage (LVM-Thin) on the OS drive which is a 2TB WD SA500 M.2 SATA SSD.
Disk 2: 2TB for the /home partition created in "timechain" storage (LVM-Thin) on a second drive which is a 2TB WD SA500 2.5" SATA SSD.

Both disks have SSD Emulation and Discard enabled.

I have noticed that there is a substantial discrepancy between the usage reported in the "timechain" thinpool and the actual usage of the /home folder in the VM.

If I run df -h inside the VM, I get this:

Code:
/dev/sda1        32G  2.5G   28G   9% /
/dev/sdb1       1.8T  633G  1.1T  37% /home

In the Proxmox web UI instead, I see that the usage for the "local-lvm" thinpool is 3.49GB (screenshot below for reference).

Screenshot 2024-10-01 at 21.52.22.png

And the usage for the "timechain" thinpool is almost 720GB (screenshot below for reference).

Screenshot 2024-10-01 at 21.47.14.png

There is most probably something I have misconfigured but I can't figure out what it is. I appreciate any input.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!