Thinking about taking the leap

Asphyxiant

Oct 20, 2024
Hey everyone, I’ve used EXSI / XEN / Hyper-V in the past, so I’m familiar with Hypervisors, etc

The machine I would be installing Proxmox on would be:

Dell Precision 7865
Specs:
Ryzen Threadripper Pro 5945wx (12 Core / 24 Threads)
128GB DDR4-3200
NVIDIA RTX A4500 20GB ECC

Storage:
Onboard dual 2 TB m.2 NVME / RAID 1 (Samsung 990s)
Dell UltraSpeed Dual PCIE controller / RAID 0 (Samsung 990s)
4 SATA Seagate EXOS X20 installed in Hotswap bays

Network:
Onboard 10 Gbps (Marvel AQC113CS/Marvel AQC113

I do have 2 PCIE slots open:
1 x Full PCIE Gen 4 x16
1 x PCIE Gen4 x8

#Question 1
The BIOS has RAID enabled for the NVME/SATA ports. Would I need to set to ports back to AHCI?
- Would Proxmox have the drivers if I left the drives setup in RAID mode via the bios?
- Does proxmox do software raid if I was to put the operation of the drives back to AHCI?

#Question 2
Would proxmox have the driver for the 10gbe Ethernet controller?

#Question 3
Would proxmox have the drivers for the Quadro A4500?
- Would like to utilize vGPU / GPUV / GPU partitioning. Does Proxmox have the ability to do this? I assume it does simple pass through to the VM’s.

#Question 4
I think I already know the answer to this one, but I assume I would be disabling the TPM in the BIOS?

#Question 5
Would I need a dedicated GPU for Proxmox itself?

As for the setup of Proxmox:

2TB RAID 1:
Partition for Proxmox itself
Partition for storage of ISO’s

8TB RAID 0:
VM’s / VM disks

RAID 5 Array:
Storage for Plex content (Currently 30TB of content)

Network would be bridged to connected router

VM 1 - Plex (Ubuntu Server LTS)
VM 2 - Linux (Ubunu Server LTS) OS for network surveillance / services / etc
VM 3 - Windows 11 Pro - Remote Gaming VM (use parsec for connectivity) - Currently doing this via Hyper-V/Parsec. Can run most games @ 4k with about 120fps on average.

Is this the appropriate approach? Would the hardware I have be supported by Proxmox?

I apologize in advance is this is not the appropriate forum / place to ask these questions. I just want to dump Windows / Hyper-V, I’m constantly tired of windows causing issues with the VM’s I’m running. I would not be importing any of the VM’s, I would be starting over from scratch.

Thoughts? Ideas? Am I approaching this from the right angle? Does/Is anyone using a Dell Workstation 7865 with success with Proxmox?

Thank you for your time, and I look forward to any input / responses / suggestions / advice.

-Asphyxiant

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!