Thin Pool Volume Size Change

wiredworm

Sep 6, 2019
Hi,

I'm experimenting with some different disk configurations at the moment and as part of that i've been resizing some of the logical volumes at the hardware level on my Proxmox Server.

I thought i'd removed the Thin Pool Volume prior to making the changes but it appears that wasn't the case as having now booted back into Proxmox the volume still appears in some of the interfaces but I don't appear able to configure it.

If I use the shell and run a pvesem status command I get this:

Code:
root@proxmox:~# pvesm status
  WARNING: Device /dev/sdc has size of 8589934592 sectors which is smaller than corresponding PV size of 19987035312 sectors. Was device resized?
  One or more devices used as PVs in VG lvm-thinpool-002 have changed sizes.
  WARNING: Device /dev/sdc has size of 8589934592 sectors which is smaller than corresponding PV size of 19987035312 sectors. Was device resized?
  One or more devices used as PVs in VG lvm-thinpool-002 have changed sizes.
Name                    Type     Status           Total            Used       Available        %
local                    dir     active        95462836         6819268        83751308    7.14%
local-lvm            lvmthin     active       262094848       221103213        40991634   84.36%
lvm-thinpool-001     lvmthin     active     11720613888     10733738198       986875689   91.58%

Is anyone able to please help me and tell me what I need to do to get lvm-thinpool-002 back online? This was the volume which was previously defined as /dev/sdc.

The reason for doing this was because i'm curious if dynamically expanding the volume works. Basically I have a lot of slack space in the RAID config so i'd like to ultimately remove thinpool-002 and instead just extend lvm-thinpool-001 by another 10TB. I wasn't sure if dynamic expansion was supported so wanted to test. Based on what i'm seeing here i'm presuming I might need to execute some commands to get things working again.

Thanks

Pete

I've managed to progress this a bit further now. I've now got the free space showing up in the Volume Group:

Code:
root@proxmox:~# pvscan
  PV /dev/sdc    VG lvm-thinpool-002   lvm2 [<6.00 TiB / 2.00 TiB free]
  PV /dev/sdb3   VG pve                lvm2 [372.05 GiB / 16.00 GiB free]
  PV /dev/sda    VG lvm-thinpool-001   lvm2 [<10.92 TiB / 0    free]

Can anyone please help me figure out what command I need to assign the 2TB of free space to the lvm-thinpool-002 volume group? It looks like most the documentation i've found relates to extending the group by making a new PV and and extending with that; but in this case I just want to use the free space on /dev/sdc.

Thanks

Pete

Never mind - I figured it out.

Firstly resize the volume using the command: pvresize /dev/[volumeid]
Then resize the thin pool like this: lvm lvresize lvm-thinpool-001/lvm-thinpool-001 --size +[IncrementAmount]

I've now got a single thin pool of just over 20TB which I can carve disks from.

Pete

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!