The whole system goes read-only

Blackworm

May 21, 2024
Hello,

I have installed promox 8.2.4 on my server. All my hardware is new except for an SSD hard disk that I had used to install a proxmix 7.x.x version.

I'm running 4/5 VMs and 8 lxc containers.

It happens quite randomly, I haven't found the trigger yet, but the system goes completely read-only. I've run tests on my SSD disks (with smartctl): no problems reported. I've also run fsck on my file systems to no avail, everything was within the norm.

When the server goes into read-only mode, a simple reboot returns it to a normal state (no data loss).

In this read-only state, error messages appear on the tty (see image). These include errors with the MMP block. However, I can't work out whether these errors are the cause or consequence of another problem.

I hope you can help me

Attachments

• logext4_compressed.jpg
    logext4_compressed.jpg
    707.5 KB · Views: 18
What make/type SSD is that /root EXT4-fs directory on. Also what MB are you using.

My root directory is on a SATA SSD (Crucial CT250MX500SSD1) and I am using a Gigabyte B650M D3HP Motherboard

Assuming your SSD isn't full/filling up (check with df -h), & assuming you have already checked the RAM, what I would do (in order):

1. Try installing on a different SSD - yours maybe bad.
2. Try updating the MB BIOS - it is pretty new.
3. Try using an older kernel.

Reactions: Kingneutron
As you can see my RAM and disk are not full.

Bash:
$ df -h
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev                   16G     0   16G   0% /dev
tmpfs                 3.1G  1.9M  3.1G   1% /run
/dev/mapper/pve-root   67G   15G   49G  23% /
tmpfs                  16G   46M   16G   1% /dev/shm
tmpfs                 5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
efivarfs              128K   54K   70K  44% /sys/firmware/efi/efivars
/dev/sdb2            1022M   12M 1011M   2% /boot/efi
/dev/fuse             128M   36K  128M   1% /etc/pve
tmpfs                 3.1G     0  3.1G   0% /run/user/1000

Bash:
$ free -h
               total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:            30Gi       9.7Gi        19Gi        64Mi       2.0Gi        20Gi
Swap:          8.0Gi          0B       8.0Gi

I will try to update my motherboard, and then use an older kernel. And yes, I think I must test with a new SSD.

Thank you both for your feedback

Reactions: Kingneutron

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!