The VM Name - Was there a change with the allowed characters?

raksasas

Oct 5, 2024
Was there a change in 8.2 with the allowed characters for the VM descriptive name? I can't use dashes/hyphens now?..

The format of my vm names as a followed: purpose-3rdNetworkOctet-4thNetworkOctet--Year-Month
  • Purpose
    • wiki, graylog, etc...
  • 3rdNetworkOctet-4thNetworkOctet
    • help to enforce i know that the IP is in use..
  • Year-Month
    • Basically give an idea of how old the VM/OS is...
  • example
    • wiki-138-10--2024-10
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Qemu/KVM_Virtual_Machines
  • Virtual Machines Settings
    • General (settings) tab
      • Name: a free form text string you can use to describe the VM

When filling this out I don't use "spaces, periods, or underscores" characters but I do use the "dash/hyphen" characters. I am trying to build a VM at the moment but it does not like if i use a "-" in it anymore. This is with 8.2.7.

I did built a vm about 3 weeks ago and i definitely used "-" in the name when building it. I have updated Proxmox VE since that build. I have been looking through the 8.2 roadmap page - https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Roadmap#Proxmox_VE_8.2

The so far i have not found/noticed a mentioning of a change, when building the vm's, in the descriptive name field. I have come across mentions of hostnames and a few others but they didn't seem related to this "descriptive" name...

I did fine these mentions..
  • Allow the use of the `-` character in snapshot names, as the backend has supported this for some time.

• When restoring from backups via the web interface, the VM/CT name is now validated client-side before sending an API request. This helps catching invalid names early.

"This helps catching invalid names early." - This might be the culprit but then why state "Name: a free form text string you can use to describe the VM"

Thanks for any time looking at or replying to this...

works for me with 8.2.7. Maybe you have a space in the beginning or the end? You can check the validation algorithm by trying to create a new VM and the name will get live checked and in my test, it works as it should:

1728141015496.png

That is interesting...

For me when I click the "Create VM" and... Click and start typing in the name field...
  • graylog
    • the "next" button is still available
  • graylog-
    • when the dash/hyphen is inputted the "next" button goes grayed out
I have tried doing this in Firefox and Chrome.

Hrmm...

... Yep....

It is working... I don't have a good response other then brain fog... I think might have been like wtf why is it graying out...

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!